PDA

View Full Version : Reloading 7/08

dudz
06-03-2010, 11:56 AM
I have a Savage stevens 200 with Lothar walthar 26" stainless heavy barrel. and X10 SS SWFA scope.

I have always reloaded for all my rifles and handguns. This situation is a first for me ;;

I am using Vectan powders Tubal 5000 / Winchester Large rifle primers / Winchester brass cases / and 150gr psp bullets.
As on the load data I have (from a trusted book I always use) it states min load 2.65g and max 2.70g. I have reloaded 20 at 2.65g. When the bullet is seated to the crimp mark on the bullet , I noticed the powder fills the case up to the case neck and by shaking it next to my ear, it is obvious that there is extremely little or no air between the bullet and the powder. This seems odd to me, as every load I have ever done before for my other caliber rifles, you can see there is at least 25% of the bullet that is empty of powder.
Is this normal ??

tammons
06-03-2010, 01:28 PM
Most of my loads with long bullets are compressed. It really depends on the powder though.

dudz
06-03-2010, 02:00 PM
Ok, thanks, that puts my mind at rest.

Elkbane
06-03-2010, 02:50 PM
Something ain't right about the original post.......50 grain bullet in a 7mm08??? 2.65g of powder - maybe someting other than grains???

And it's not even April 1.......
Elkbane

placek59
06-03-2010, 03:07 PM
grams vs grains ------- 2.65 grams of powder = ~ 41 grains
the bullet weight, I'm not so sure on.... Maybe meant 150grain?

savageboy
06-03-2010, 06:09 PM
I use 140gr. bullets- Sierra, Nosler Bal. tips, Accubond, or Horn SST in my 7-08 w/ Varget Powder, Win. Brass and Win Primers. With its lightweight 22" hunting barrel it shoots .7" groups at 100yds at about 2900fps. and has killed everything- Deer mostly- I have ever pointed it at. Some were bang, flops, some have bucked and ran 20 yds or so.
I once used the Horn. 154gr. SST on a 250lb Wild Boar. Bullet went thru about 4' of pig on a front quartering shot at about 80 yds. We recovered the bullet just under the hide on the off side back ham- perfectly expanded. Pig was running when I shot it, it kept changed direction a bit, kept running for about 50yds and crashed.

dudz
06-04-2010, 05:16 AM
Hi
Yes sorry ;D 150grain bullets. (typing error) and powder in grams (I am in France, and the data is in grams)

With factory ammo 140grain "Winchester CXP2 Super X PP" At 125 meters, the rifle shoots within 3 inches all day ! at that disatnce I have a 10" square steel plate which is 12mm thick. the bullets punch straight through giving an amazing 10mm dia hole ! . I need a thicker plate ! or move up the shooting distance to 500mtrs, which I plan to soon.

LG
06-06-2010, 01:24 PM
Dudz,

I'm not familiar with the Vectan powder you're using. But in general it's normal for some powders to fill the case up to the shoulder/neck junction. For example, I reload 308 Win with Hodgdon powders like Varget and H4895. Most of my loads have very little or no empty space inside the case once the bullet is seated. In some of my loads, when I'm loading the rounds, I can feel the bullets slightly compressing the powder.

Sounds like you are using a good reloading manual, selected a powder that is adequate for the cartridge, and started with the suggested starting loads. You are doing everything correctly. What you're seeing is normal. Actually if there is very little empty space inside the case after the bullet is seated, that is a good thing. If there's a lot of empty space, the powder is free to move around, and there could be differences from shot to shot depending on the position of the powder, which may be detrimental to accuracy.

tammons
06-06-2010, 02:23 PM
You did not mention the barrel twist, but if it is 1:9 or so, try some 162 gr Amax bullets if you can get them.
They are cheap and have a high BC.

I also think Alliant powder is made in Europe. Look for some RL17 for that combo.

You rifle should shoot under 1/2" at 100 meters. If its shooting 3" at 125 meters with good handloads,
you might want to check things out.