PDA

View Full Version : Primer frustration--- need some advice. I still don't think it's the primer

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

Trapper
09-03-2015, 07:43 PM
Robinhoood, you made me spill my coffee in my lap, and you are sooooo right. LOL

LongRange
09-03-2015, 08:21 PM
You are going to know your rifle real well when this is said and done.

LMAO...yes he will!

LongRange, I apologize for not answering that question about "did you uniform your primer pockets?" I clean my primer pockets each time I use that piece of brass. I have a Lyman electric machine for cleaning primer pockets, plus the inside and outside of the mouth. When I get back from the range I immediately resize the brass to knock out the primers, and check the length to see if I have to do any trimming. Then off to the ultrasonic cleaner and then the tumbler for clean brass. Blow out the brass with hot air from a hair dry. I then put them in marked boxes until I am ready to use. Saying all that, I'm still not sure if I answered your question. I push the primers out and clean the pocket, not sure if that is uniforming the primer pocket. Just do the best I can LOL.
Thanks,
Trapper

Well you did answer and the answer is no lol....uniforming primer pockets is a means of making all of your PPs the same depth by using an end mill to trim brass out of the bottom of the pocket to achieve a uniformed depth and a nice flat bottom.

But also in post 18 i said(and as earl said)that a primer not seated deep enough will cause a miss fire because the firing pin is just knocking the anvil out of the primer cup...as earl suggested...primer your brass with your hand primer... and pay attention...you will kinda feel the primer hit the bottom and then just give it a little pressure to make sure the anvil is bottomed out in the pocket and i bet every round fires.

And i apologize for not being clearer in that post.

Trapper
09-03-2015, 09:01 PM
LongRange, be careful giving me all your secrets, as one day I might be able to shoot with ya. LOL Midwayusa has a RCBS Primer pocket uniformer that screws into the "CaseMate" electronic tool For cleaning the inside, outside of the case mouths as well as cleaning the primer pocket. Will this "uniform primer pocket cleaner " do more than just clean the pocket? Sorry to keep asking questions.
Thanks,
Trapper

Robinhood
09-03-2015, 10:02 PM
as long as you get the one that is carbide and only designed to cut on the end.

LongRange
09-04-2015, 08:12 AM
LongRange, be careful giving me all your secrets, as one day I might be able to shoot with ya. LOL Midwayusa has a RCBS Primer pocket uniformer that screws into the "CaseMate" electronic tool For cleaning the inside, outside of the case mouths as well as cleaning the primer pocket. Will this "uniform primer pocket cleaner " do more than just clean the pocket? Sorry to keep asking questions.
Thanks,
Trapper

do your self a favor if your going to buy uniforming tools and buy GOOD tools...these are good tools....i think brownells/sinclair make an adapter that screws into the case mate...

http://www.sinclairintl.com/reloading-equipment/case-preparation/primer-pocket-tools/handles/sinclair-primer-pocket-uniformers-large-rifle-sku749003710-34720-63188.aspx

personally i prefer the K&M tools and chuck them in a cordless drill...if using a cordless drill get one thats max RPM is 400 or less...slow is good when uniforming brass...also note the price on the RCBS and on the k&m...

https://www.kmshooting.com/catalog/primer-pocket-correction-tools/large-rifle-primer-pocket-correction-tool.html

21st century shooting makes good tools as well...and yes you can use the uniforming tool to clean pockets but as robinhood said make sure its a carbide cutter...as far as shooting with me...thats not hard to do LOL!

if your heart is set on the RCBS tool shoot me a PM...i have one ill give you and also through in the laymen small and large uniformers...all POS's IMHO.

Trapper
09-04-2015, 04:55 PM
So far LongRange and Earl win the "solve the problem prize, at least so far. Robinhood wins a big prize for putting up with all my questions and pictures. Last night I took 100 Lapia pcs of brass that had been primed with the table top RCBS Priming tool and I broke out the hand ptimer and ran each piece of brass thru as if I was priming. Probably 85% had that little extra movement that you could barely feel, but movement there was. I loaded 50 rounds and went to the range today and LongRange was correct, every round fired. I haven't popped a beer yet, but ot's been a long trip to get to this point. Plus I learned about uniforming my priner pockets. I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks. Watch channel 276 on Direct tV tonight for a show called " The Science of Stupid" and one day I will be on there.
LongRange, whenever I get an interest in something, I always learn the hard way and have a workshop filled with POS. I think we have all done that one.
You're the guys that make this site what it is and I don't worry about being made to feel stupid for asking a question.
Thanks again to all you guys for your help,
Trapper

Robinhood
09-04-2015, 05:15 PM
Great journey. I have always used a hand primer and never experienced this. I have had a trigger drag and cause misfires though.

LongRange
09-04-2015, 05:28 PM
if you REALLY want to know whats going on when you seat primers get one of these...

https://www.kmshooting.com/catalog/primer-seater-tools/primer_gauge.html

seating primers is a bigger deal than most ppl realize.....

Trapper
09-04-2015, 05:53 PM
LR, There are so many powders, primers and bullets, that it's confusing enough to just read what everyone likes. Like they say, put 10 guys in a room and ask one question and you'll get 10 different answers and each one will be justified to their satisfaction. LOL KM shooting maikes qute a few things I would love to have, but I'm not that serious about my shooting.

LongRange
09-04-2015, 08:25 PM
Your right about that...and of the 10 talking i wouldnt believe any of them... id find out for myself.

Robinhood
09-04-2015, 11:13 PM
Looks like taking your advice worked out LR.

eddiesindian
09-05-2015, 12:31 AM
That's a fact. reloading is so subjective.
What works for one may not work for the other.
Find what you like and works for you and keep at it.
For me?....an open mind is a brite mind.
Gotta watch it though.......one day you may give in and buy a 30" barrel just to have to cut it down to make it shoot, then have your friends say.... "see, I told you so".......bahahaha............. Hey Dave...sound familiar?........
Kinda reminds me of my mother yelling ......... Don't touch that because its hot!........what do I do?...............touch the dam thing and burn the living crap out of my fingers all because I just had to find out for myself lolololo

LongRange
09-05-2015, 07:41 AM
Looks like taking your advice worked out LR.

for once....I guess everyone has a lucky call every now and then LOL!!

That's a fact. reloading is so subjective.
What works for one may not work for the other.
Find what you like and works for you and keep at it.
For me?....an open mind is a brite mind.
Gotta watch it though.......one day you may give in and buy a 30" barrel just to have to cut it down to make it shoot, then have your friends say.... "see, I told you so".......bahahaha............. Hey Dave...sound familiar?........
Kinda reminds me of my mother yelling ......... Don't touch that because its hot!........what do I do?...............touch the dam thing and burn the living crap out of my fingers all because I just had to find out for myself lolololo

theres no better way to learn than to experience things for yourself IMHO...as far as that 30" barrel goes....I did have it cut down and it still would not shoot....almost 3000 views and no one wondered why that barrel wouldn't shoot so I just let it die, but I will tell you it had nothing to do with the length or the shooter ;) ...

LoneWolf
09-05-2015, 08:41 AM
I'm on the other spectrum. I think people make reloading way to complicated. Like group shooting. There's so much human error in group shooting how do you know its the specific powder charge, seating depth, primer etc. That got you the results and it wasn't just you having a better natural point of aim and follow through etc.

I also use what many would consider lower quality reloading equipment accept for in a few areas.

With this I will always believe skill is the biggest part of shooting and a shooters dedication to skill usually rolls over into the dedications to his reloading. With human error involved though there's no way I can see an adjustment of a 1000th or 100th of an inch will solve all your problems.

Sorry rant over lol. Glad the OP was successful in figuring out the issue. Quality components is step number one!

LongRange
09-05-2015, 08:52 AM
I agree that the shooter is the biggest part of shooting but how will a good shooter ever know how good of a shooter he really is if he don't take the time to eliminate all of the variables he has control over.

LoneWolf
09-05-2015, 08:59 AM
Consistency. Consistent practice and application of the fundamentals. Consistency of your reloading techniques. Once it works run with it till it's broke broke then reevaluate. If you shot a bad group don't think you need to start load development all over again.

If you're always changing your equipment and reloads then you're probably always making small adjustments to your shooting positions too. Might be good, might not be.

Everything you do runs together. Consistency is the key. If you want consistent improvement then stop trying to change things all the time and focus on consistent improvement. Learn your rifle, learn your ballistics, and focus on the information you're taking in from down range.

mike21
09-05-2015, 10:31 AM
theres no better way to learn than to experience things for yourself IMHO...as far as that 30" barrel goes....I did have it cut down and it still would not shoot....almost 3000 views and no one wondered why that barrel wouldn't shoot so I just let it die, but I will tell you it had nothing to do with the length or the shooter ;) ...

On the contrary, I for one was very curious what happened to that barrel. However, in view of all the vendor bashing threats, I chose not to get either of us in trouble. So.......PM enroute for the status.

LongRange
09-05-2015, 05:30 PM
Consistency. Consistent practice and application of the fundamentals. Consistency of your reloading techniques. Once it works run with it till it's broke broke then reevaluate. If you shot a bad group don't think you need to start load development all over again.

If you're always changing your equipment and reloads then you're probably always making small adjustments to your shooting positions too. Might be good, might not be.

Everything you do runs together. Consistency is the key. If you want consistent improvement then stop trying to change things all the time and focus on consistent improvement. Learn your rifle, learn your ballistics, and focus on the information you're taking in from down range.

agreed.

Trapper
09-05-2015, 06:50 PM
ust some information that anyone that reloads can benefit from.
http://i19.tinypic.com/673ps35.jpg
http://i9.tinypic.com/6c3ek5k.jpg
http://www.chuckhawks.com/primers.htm

LongRange
09-05-2015, 07:46 PM
Heres a few good reads on primers...boring to some but interesting to me...as far as the hottest to coldest...best and worst ESs ect i did some field testing in a 300wm and a 260rem a few years ago and will post up some of my findings this winter

http://www.accuratereloading.com/primer.html

http://riflemansjournal.blogspot.com/2009/06/primers-large-rifle-primer-study.html