PDA

View Full Version : A couple of questions about my 111FCXP3

arc1847
09-17-2009, 08:45 PM
I recently picked up a used 111FCXP3 in 7mm Rem Mag. The first thing I'm doing is replacing it with a 114 LA stock with the oil finish and inletted for the floorplate. ($82 shipped from numrich).

First question is: If I wanted to spruce up this stock a little (build on the current finish with a couple of coats and a maybe a poly clear coat) is there a good guide out there for the process? I like the color and feel of the stock as it is, but wouldn't mind making it "just a bit" nicer...

Second, since this stock is inletted for the floorplate and also has the button for the Detachable Box Magazine, does anyone have any idea which floorplate I should get so that it will work with the DBM?

I'm really looking forward to having some fun with this rifle. Somewhere down the line I plan to have a trigger job done, pillar bed the stock, true and time the action... but need to save up and do things one at a time..

Thanks forany advice you migth have.

Al

northlander
09-17-2009, 08:50 PM
Al,
Do you know if your new rifle is a Centerfeed or a Staggered Feed. If you want to use the Detachable Box Magazine you need to be sure which Action you have and which version of the 114 Stock you are getting. Make sure everything matches up before you go racing forward and then find parts that won't fit or function.

Jim Briggs
NSS

JSpoo
09-18-2009, 06:26 AM
To spruce up your wood stock:
1) Insure there is no oil coating or any other type of coating currently on the wood.
2) Finish sanding the stock with 600grit. You may have to start at 220grit to get rid of any dings.
3) Mix 1/3 part of thinner to 2/3 of Boiled Linseed oil. Apply to stock in 80deg room clear of dust with cotton cloth. Garage should work fine, if garage is attached to home seal door going into home with duct tape otherwise it will stink up the house.
4) Wait 20 min and wipe off excess with cotton cloth.
5) Wait 12hrs and using 0000 steel wool rub the stock down (your basically sanding the stock again, but at a very high grit)
6) Repeat steps 3,4 and 5 several times.
7) Final coat: After your 7th coat wait a week and then apply one more coat. Rub the oil in using the 0000 steel wool. Wipe off excess after a 20min wait.
8) Wait another 2 weeks and apply a Polyurthane coating used for flooring (Flooring Polyurthane cost more but lasts a lifetime)

Welcome to a proffessional oil rubbed stock. The difference will be unbelievable. Its like going from a black and white photo to a color photo. If you want a crazy color to your stock go to a oil painting store and get whatever color of oil paint and mix a little into the linseed oil to achieve the color you desire (Old European furniture trick) Enjoy.

JSpoo
09-18-2009, 06:33 AM
WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING
I almost forgot.
When using Linseed oil; the rags used to apply the oil need to be hung outside to dry.
If you toss them into a closed container or in a corner where they can not breath properly to dry out they will spontanously combust and start a fire.

arc1847
09-18-2009, 07:03 AM
Jim,

The action is a staggered feed. I set the barreled action in the stock yesterday, installed the action bolts (were a little long since it's inletted for a floorplate) and attached the magazine. Everything seemed to line up well so I think I just need the floorplate. Do I have that right?

JSPoo, thanks for the stock finishing process. I'll plan to get started on it this weekend. And thanks for the advice on hanging the rags outside to dry. That's good to know....

Al