PDA

View Full Version : Model 10 .308 Rebuild

Pages : 1 [2]

Kaldor
08-26-2016, 12:53 PM
Great write up. I will be doing this soon to my savage 338-06. did you use any kind of a release agent on the taped up barrel nut and recoil lug or did you just set it in the devcon?

I used natural shoe polish, 4 or 5 coats lightly buffed between coats. Release was perfect.

Sorry I dug this one up, been awhile since i posted on this thread.

A little after action report...

I have about 500 rounds thru the gun since I finished the build and Ill probably put 200 thru it this weekend.

Ended up going with a Rifle Basix trigger. The stock trigger had an issue where the lug would slip all the time on cocking. Tried a few different things, ended up just fixing it permanently by replacing it. Im very happy with the adjustability of it and clean break and Im sitting at about 2lbs. I bought mine directly from Rifle Basix and the owner was more than helpful when I needed the setup instructions for the trigger that were mistakenly not included.

I have tired a whole bunch of different bullets and powders. Hornady 150gr SP's, 150gr FMJBT's, 168gr AMAX's, Sierra 168gr & 175gr SMK's, H4895, IMT 8208 XBR, H335, CFE 223, all over CCI 200 primers in 7.62X51 LC cases. The 168gr AMAX's with 40gr of 8208 XBR produce consistent 5 shots touching groups at 100 yards. The SMK's shoot about as well as the AMAX's but I seem to have issues with flyers more often on these. I still want to try some Sierra TMK's and I havent messed with any 125 or 110 grain bullets yet. The Hornady 150gr SP's with H4895 turn in some surprisingly good groups, hovering at 4 shot touching in a 5 shot group and will be my go to hunting round for whitetails out to 300 yards. The 150gr FMJBTs shoot around 1.5" with H335 and CFE 223 and are my go to load for running on the progressive and just general plinking at steel at the 200 yard range I shoot at.

To do list for loading:
I do need to test these load over a chrono to check up on FPS. Buy a comparator so I can get these bullets sitting a little closer to the lands. And I still want to get some Varget which is near unobtanium around here.

Overall, a great build. I have plans on doing a 223 this year if I can find the right gun with a DBM included.

WeldNFool
10-16-2016, 07:46 PM
Great write up! Great pictures on bedding the stock. Have heard about it but never seen it done or even how. Very nice looking rifle and finish on the stock.

Only thing I have to offer is watch blowing off parts with compressed air from a compressor. Depending on the type you have, oiled or without oil. The compressor with oil you can get oil in the lines, thus while blowing it off shoot oil unseen on your parts. Also if you use air tools oil can get in the lines, from what I've learned over the years as a mechanic. Most places have dedicated lines for paint due to this. A good air dryer too. From reading your entire thread though you cleaned very well! Soap, brake cleaner, the works! Great job and thanks for the very informative post and the time it took to write it all up.