PDA

View Full Version : Choate Tactical vs Choate Ultimate Sniper

maleus
08-24-2015, 12:56 AM
So I have narrowed my stock choices down to these two. They are in my budget, and both have good reviews.

I honestly like them both, the Ultimate Sniper having the adjustable comb seems very nice, but the grip kinda makes me nervous, Ive read that its very vertical and doesn't lend itself well to ergonomics.

On the other hand, I like the looks of the tactical, but have read issues on the magazine not seating well, or the factory bolts not working on the stock. I would prefer it to be a drop in install, and I can't find any "how to" videos or blogs on making the factory HH magazine work in it if it requires additional work. Im relatively handy with basic tools, but Ive never used anything like epoxy or anything yet, I would hate to experiment on my new stock and mess it up.

I have a Savage Hog Hunter in .308, it is the most updated model (if there is such a thing, was purchased new last week).

Anyone have any experience with these? I know someone mentioned they loved the Ultimate Sniper for prone shooting, but I will be about 25% prone, 75% bench. Weight isn't a factor, as I don't compete, just shoot for fun at the range.

Help me Savageshooters... You're my only hope!

psharon97
08-24-2015, 08:45 AM
You mentioned that you going to be using this stock as mostly from the bench. If you are planning on using sandbags or a shooting rest, then I would look at the Ultimate Varmint stock instead of the Ultimate Sniper. I've owned the UV for roughly 6 years now and have no complaints with the stock.

maleus
08-24-2015, 01:52 PM
You mentioned that you going to be using this stock as mostly from the bench. If you are planning on using sandbags or a shooting rest, then I would look at the Ultimate Varmint stock instead of the Ultimate Sniper. I've owned the UV for roughly 6 years now and have no complaints with the stock.

I was going to use it on a bipod. Although most of the shooting would be done from a bench, I would like to retain the option of using it prone if possible. Would be on a Harris bipod.

BlueDog
08-24-2015, 05:51 PM
I was looking at the tactical, but it just wasn't for me. Number one, it's HEAVY (like massive). Number 2, the weird tang setup, I understand the merits of a floating tang, but having it stick so far up out of the stock is a terrible design. Number 3, and the killer for me was the gigantic grip. I have fairly large hands, but this thing is BIG, think like a pop/soda can diameter.

I tried to like it, but I just didn't care for it (at all!)

darkker
08-24-2015, 06:58 PM
Love my U.S.. Use it for prone, but also carry it hunting. I like the angled forend for more bipod adjustment, rather than the flat forend on the U.V.
The grip is massive enough that it really works well for prone, and recoil control; but small hands beware!

It definitely isn't a "pretty" stock, but rock solid it fits the bill.

D.ID
08-24-2015, 11:55 PM
I was looking at the tactical, but it just wasn't for me. Number one, it's HEAVY (like massive). Number 2, the weird tang setup, I understand the merits of a floating tang, but having it stick so far up out of the stock is a terrible design. Number 3, and the killer for me was the gigantic grip. I have fairly large hands, but this thing is BIG, think like a pop/soda can diameter.

I tried to like it, but I just didn't care for it (at all!)
You must mean "sniper" because the "tactical" is the lightest and smallest of the three........and the best............... in my opinion.

D.ID
08-24-2015, 11:57 PM
So I have narrowed my stock choices down to these two. They are in my budget, and both have good reviews.

I honestly like them both, the Ultimate Sniper having the adjustable comb seems very nice, but the grip kinda makes me nervous, Ive read that its very vertical and doesn't lend itself well to ergonomics.

On the other hand, I like the looks of the tactical, but have read issues on the magazine not seating well, or the factory bolts not working on the stock. I would prefer it to be a drop in install, and I can't find any "how to" videos or blogs on making the factory HH magazine work in it if it requires additional work. Im relatively handy with basic tools, but Ive never used anything like epoxy or anything yet, I would hate to experiment on my new stock and mess it up.

I have a Savage Hog Hunter in .308, it is the most updated model (if there is such a thing, was purchased new last week).

Anyone have any experience with these? I know someone mentioned they loved the Ultimate Sniper for prone shooting, but I will be about 25% prone, 75% bench. Weight isn't a factor, as I don't compete, just shoot for fun at the range.

Help me Savageshooters... You're my only hope!

I have run hog hunters and customs built from hog hunter actions in both the "tactical" and the "varmint" with no trouble at all, completely drop in and go.

BlueDog
08-25-2015, 09:39 AM
You must mean "sniper" because the "tactical" is the lightest and smallest of the three........and the best............... in my opinion.

D.ID, no I mean the tactical (the black, non drganov-esque stock). I wasn't comparing it to the Sniper, nor the Varmint or any other stick/chassis. I was simply stating the Choate Tactical was not a good candidate for me. I am sure Choate stocks are completely adequate for their intended purpose.