PDA

View Full Version : Need help determining which Boyds stock I need for my Stevens 200.

cmrichards
08-23-2015, 08:34 PM
I've got a Stevens 200 in .223. I took the original stock off earlier and the mag went with it. That means it's a center feed correct?

How do I determine if it's a short or long action. My assumption is that it's short but that's only because I'm shooting a small caliber.

I measured the distance between the action screws and it seems to be around 4 3/8 - 4 7/16

Finally, with my limited knowledge I determined that this is what I need http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/ProductDetail/4da350104117_csa-stevens-200-tbr-blind-mag-short-action-center-feed-factory-barrel-channel-walnut-finished
With the details I've given, does this seem correct?

One more question, will the new stock come with a new mag so that's it's no more than a simple drop in or will I have to somehow get the mag out of the original stock and put it in the new one. If I have to put the old mag in the new stock, are there any tutorials on how to do so?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Texas10
08-24-2015, 09:21 AM
First and foremost, I'd like to welcome you to Savage Shooters.
I see this is your first post so I'd like to suggest that you get acquainted with the search features of the board. Many of your questions have already been asked and answered and there is a TON of information available here, and many really smart and experienced members (unfortunately, I don't fall into that classification) so you can find answers to most anything you want to know about Savage Rifles.
You'll have to remove the blind magazine from your old stock. I use a small screwdriver to gently pry up the front of the mag. about 1/4 in. Then use a hooked tool to reach underneath and gently pry out. Beware that the rear tang with the screw hole cut out has an integral barb that digs into the stock as you try to remove. Lifting the front end of the mag will lessen it's ability to lock it in place. If you pry up on that tab, you'll likely bend it, so try to avoid that mistake. One gentleman here uses a large screwdriver inserted INTO the magazine, then turn 90 degrees and lift up being careful not to bend the sides.
The new stock will not come with a mag or action pillars. Some here use hardware store available lamp rod material to make pillars. Some stock suppliers include those with the purchase (Arthur Brown http://www.eabco.net/Savage-Thumbhole-Varmint-Stock--Short-Action-1011121416_p_14233.html)
I've been looking at these stocks for my M12 in .223 http://www.rifle-stocks.com/target_style's.htm
Pretty cool!
As for action screw placement, you may have to measure more carefully. IIRC the short actions are spaced 4.141.

Good luck and keep us advised on your progress.

FW Conch
08-24-2015, 10:30 AM
Short Action screw spacing is referred to as 4.4", or 4 3/8". Both being the same thing.

Texas10
08-24-2015, 06:08 PM
I typed that screw spacing incorrectly. It should read 4.41

cmrichards
08-25-2015, 12:12 PM
I was with you until you started talking about action pillars. I haven't seen anyone mention those anywhere else. Is that a mandatory thing or just an extra step some people take?

Texas10
08-25-2015, 08:30 PM
Action pillars are basically metal spacers (tubes) that help action screws provide consistent support of the action. They also prevent the torque of the screws from splitting the stock, and a whole lot of other advantages related to accuracy and consistency.
There are many youtube videos available to look at, as well as discussions on this forum if you wish to do a search. Just search "pillar bedding".

Start with this; http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?45620-Boyd-s-Pro-Varmint-Need-Advice-on-Installing-Pillars&highlight=Boyds+pillar+bedding

cmrichards
08-25-2015, 10:45 PM
Action pillars are basically metal spacers (tubes) that help action screws provide consistent support of the action. They also prevent the torque of the screws from splitting the stock, and a whole lot of other advantages related to accuracy and consistency.
There are many youtube videos available to look at, as well as discussions on this forum if you wish to do a search. Just search "pillar bedding".

Start with this; http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?45620-Boyd-s-Pro-Varmint-Need-Advice-on-Installing-Pillars&highlight=Boyds+pillar+bedding

Thanks. I really like the look of the stock you posted in the first link. If I were to get that one, the only extra work I would have to do is put in my old mag correct?

Texas10
08-26-2015, 04:36 PM
As I understand from the E.Arthur Brown website, the pillars are included. What is not clear to me is whether THEY install them or simply include them for the buyer to install. I suspect a phone call to them would clear that up, but I've just not followed up on that as of yet. You might also have to find some new action screws to fit the new stock, but I believe they sell those too.

Your magazine should fit with little or no additional work. But I would expect to do some grinding with a moto-tool and a burr.

There is also the subject of 'glass bedding and whether or not you want to do that to your new stock. So that might be a little more work. I did my Savage stock in one afternoon, but I've been working with epoxy for decades and know some short cuts. Your mileage may vary.

The other website sells basic wood stocks ready for the buyer to finish and install hardware. More of a product for those who wish to spend endless hours toiling to produce a fine work of art, than to spend those hours behind the cross hairs.
Yea, that's me :p