PDA

View Full Version : Burris glass

Matno
08-23-2015, 03:40 AM
Waited quite a while to get an XTR II with the new SCR reticle, then waited almost as long for an opportunity to go dial it in. Didn't go quite as well as I had hoped. On a positive note, this was also my first time shooting my first savage, and the gun performed beautifully. Predator hunter max 1 in 22-250. I'm afraid I'm not very good at holding steady, and it was still able to consistently shoot MOA. I'm sure the gun could do better with a better shooter!
Unfortunately, I had a hard time seeing the target clearly at 100 yards. Text lines on the target showed up as blurred lines, no matter how much I fiddled with it. Reticle was clear as a bell, but I tried changing the focus on that too, just in case. No luck. Day was kind of hazy from all the wildfires out west, but when I pulled out a second gun with my vortex viper PST, the difference was glaringly obvious. This was comparing a vortex 6-24x with a Burris 5-25x, so I figured they should be similar. Not even close. Not only was the target MUCH clearer with the vortex (i could read the words on the target), on max magnification, the target actually looked bigger than with the Burris.
Is there something I should be doing differently here, or am I going to have to send the scope back to Burris? I have time and could do it while I swap the barrel for a custom 6.5 Creedmoor...
If it makes a difference, I've been using scopes for years and have quite a bit of experience adjusting them (Including multiple FFP scopes), I just want to make sure I'm not missing something stupid before I send this one back for repair.
Thoughts?
Edit: I also used my new Primary Arms FFP scope for the first time, and it was crystal clear out to 250 yards. Amazing glass for the money!

darkker
08-23-2015, 01:31 PM
Yes, and I use my Primary Arms MUCH father than that!
Did you try adjusting the eyepiece on the Burris?
I know the first batch of those tin cans had issues that were recalled...
Sorry to hear of the trouble, but that stuff is why I left them long ago.

Matno
08-23-2015, 01:36 PM
I did adjust the eyepiece. All the way in both directions. But you brought up a good point: I ordered the scope months before they were released, so this was definitely a "first batch" model. I'll wait until I hear back from Burris, and I'm sure they'll take good care of me.

bigcheese920
08-23-2015, 09:05 PM
I would definitely send it back to Burris. Burris makes great glass and should be a lot better than that. I'm sure they'll take care of you. They have fantastic customer service.

Strutnut
08-27-2015, 10:35 AM
I have read a bunch of reviews on this scope and plan on getting one in a month when I get my bonus. They are very well received and have a no questions warranty so you should be good. I would suggest going over to the hide to read on how to properly set Diopters on FFP scopes but it seems you are already experienced. there.

Matno
08-27-2015, 10:36 AM
Yeah, I did it exactly the way they describe on the Hide. Worked for all my other scopes. Guess I need to call Burris. I emailed them last week and never got a reply.

Strutnut
08-27-2015, 10:46 AM
If your on the hide there are several Burris guys over there that can help you out in a hurry. Just hit the XTR II thread. They will be easy to see.

Matno
08-27-2015, 12:29 PM
I haven't been on the Hide much since they stopped using Tapatalk. Takes too long to see what I want. :(