PDA

View Full Version : home made sizing lube...

LongRange
08-21-2015, 07:30 PM
so ive used several different lubes over the years and have always seen guys making their own but never gave it much thought.
lately ive been looking into the water base base lubes looking for something a little easier to clean off the cases so i decided to try the home brew as its about the same price to make it as it is to buy it.
i got a 4oz bottle of liquid lanolin from whole foods and a gallon of 99% ISO alcohol from big R(they dont have small bottles and i wasnt going to run all over looking for a small bottle)friday...after a bunch of searching around i settled on a 12:1 mix...a lot of ppl mix 16:2 but i read a few posts from guys saying 16:2 is a little thick and gums up dies so i figured i could always add more lanolin if the 12:1 wasnt working. i mixed it up..cleaned my sizing die and used a Q-tip to coat the inside of my die and gave a case a little shot let it dry and ran it into the die...can you guess what happen...YEP...TORE THE Fn RIM RIGHT OFF THE CASE!!!
this is only the second stuck case ive ever had and it was a you know what getting that case outta my die even with the RCBS stuck case tool!!
i ALMOST threw the bottle of home brew away but though ill give it one more try as i had 93 case i needed to size today..i ran to wal-mart and got a cheep cake pan(my wife was home so i couldnt use hers)threw all the cases in the pan and gave them 2 good spritzes rolled they around a little and let them dry.
i grabbed a case put it in the shell holder and slowly sent it into the die...it went in and out so easy i thought maybe i didnt tighten the die down all the way so i checked and it was tight.i threw another case in the shell holder and the same thing...in and out smoother than id ever felt with any other lube ive used including imperial wax...i know a lotta you guys are probable already using this....if not do...smoothest easiest to clean lube ive ever used.i dont know what happened with the first case but im impressed now and thats hard to do LOL!!

upSLIDEdown
08-22-2015, 01:07 AM
I use it as well. ISO-HEET is what I use, as it's the easiest way to find 99% ISO alcohol here. Works fantastic. I almost stuck one last time I used it, but I think I was just not liberal enough with it. No issues after the first one.

gotcha
08-22-2015, 01:14 AM
Thanks for the input :) I've been thinking about going the Lanolin route myself. I wonder if you could use the old stamp pad type lube applicator? And how are you cleaning the cases after sizing? Tanks, Dale

upSLIDEdown
08-22-2015, 01:25 AM
I tumble after I lube/size/trim.

Robinhood
08-22-2015, 01:51 AM
I had about 30 sticks of lip balm. I found that stuff works awesome and it smells good too. I looked up how to make your own and I will never look back.

homefrontsniper
08-22-2015, 02:42 AM
LEE FOR ME! But thanks

LongRange
08-22-2015, 07:18 AM
I use it as well. ISO-HEET is what I use, as it's the easiest way to find 99% ISO alcohol here. Works fantastic. I almost stuck one last time I used it, but I think I was just not liberal enough with it. No issues after the first one.

yep the red iso heet is same thing...ive read that 91% iso will work too but it will need to be shaken up as the lanolin dont stay suspended....and im pretty sure my stuck case was because i sprayed 1 case and rolled it around in my fingers so all the lanolin stuck to my fingers not the case.

Thanks for the input :) I've been thinking about going the Lanolin route myself. I wonder if you could use the old stamp pad type lube applicator? And how are you cleaning the cases after sizing? Tanks, Dale

try it youll be glad you did....just put 1oz liquid lanolin and 12ozs 99% ISO alcohol(or as upSLIDEdown said)the red can ISO heet in a spray bottle and shake it up...lay your cases out in what ever...lotta guys spray them in a gallon size zip lock bag roll them around and dump them out to dry...i just bought a cake pan for $2 bucks at wal-mart...threw 93 cases in it gave them 3 mist sprays let them dry(or actually the alcohol evaporate)and sized them...i just used a small rag with 91% ISO and wiped them down.
the liquid lanolin is real thick...i put 12oz alcohol in the spray bottle then put the lanolin and the spray bottle in the sink in HOT water for about 10mins before mixing.

LongRange
08-22-2015, 07:27 AM
LEE FOR ME! But thanks

be careful with that stuff homefront...right from lees site....LOL!!

"WARNING: this product contains a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer, trace Formaldehyde."

sixonetonoffun
08-22-2015, 11:39 AM
Lanolin is great stuff to have on hand. And it keeps your skin silky smooth.

Scott Evans
08-23-2015, 03:00 PM
CMD #3 either grease or oil, dissolved in heptane (brake clean). No sticky residue like lanolin, outstanding EP lubricant.

GRUMPA
08-23-2015, 04:44 PM
I use Anhydrous Lanolin I order from another site, it has the moisture removed. I mix it 50/50 with Vaseline and it's what I use to form cases. I've never had a stuck case and if I haven't done 850K so far, I would be surprised. But I use the stainless pin media to clean them afterwards.