PDA

View Full Version : Looking for stock options for a Gen2 Savage 10FP

Santander
08-21-2015, 04:11 PM
Hello all.

I am looking for a replacement stock for my Savage 10FP. I bought this rifle not long after Savage came out with the AccuTrigger. I reckon that was 9-10 years ago.
The rifle has the staggered-feed blind magazine and the side bolt-release. The spacing on the action screws is 4-1/4".
Desired budget is in the $200 range ($300 max).

This has been a fantastic rifle. Shortly after I got it I put a Bell & Carlson Medalist stock on it and added a decent fixed 10x scope and I started shooting out to 600 yards up at Camp Butner and competing at the Woody's Designated Marksman events. But these days I just don't do that type of shooting and as a result, this rifle has become a bit of a closet queen. I would like to take her out to dance more often. I want this to evolve from a So I have done the following...

I replaced the fixed 10x scope with a 3-12x scope to improve field of vision. Hunting pigs or deer with a 10x makes it hard for target acquisition.
I had the 24" barrel cut back to 18" to make the barrel lighter and more rigid.
I had the barrel threaded to accept the suppressor that I use on my AR-10 and AR-15's.

I would now like to replace the large/heavy tactical stock (B&C Medalist) with something with more practical and lighter weight. Something with a traditional hunting design would do nicely. No thumbholes or pistol grips to jab me in the back. No more "tacticool".
Just a decent stock for hunting deer, pigs, and coyotes... and punching paper @200 yards or so.

I have found few options available. Some are rather PROUD of their offerings (as in $450 - $570 proud) and I am sure that they are excellent stocks.
I am looking for something in the $200 range and I'm willing to pay $300 if I need to (which I may). But it's gotta be decent. Tupperware will never again touch this rifle. :-)

Manners Stocks has some selection. $570 for the hunting stocks (MCS-EH2, 3, 4, etc)... and for that you only get 2 swivels and single color. They must be great stocks. http://builder.mannersstocks.com/configurator/stock
Stockade Gunstocks seems to make some good stuff from what I've read. I have no experience with their product.
$325 is the base price for a finished & painted stock. Any other options are A-La-Carte.
http://www.stockadegunstocks.com/
Stockys has an H-S Precision for this Savage model. It is ~$350 and I don't have any experience with their product.
https://www.stockysstocks.com/h-s-precision-pro-series-2000-savage-10fp-12-target-varmint-tactical-single-shot-repeater-stocks-psv-102-106-118-121.html

Are there any other options (brands or sources) that I am overlooking ?
Are there any options that are in the $200 range for this rifle anymore?
Do any of you have experience with a Stockade or an H-S Precision stock? (I did find one post where someone indicated they preferred the Stockade.)

Many thanks,
Tony

ForgivenAll
08-21-2015, 04:16 PM
Hello all.

I am looking for a replacement stock for my Savage 10FP. I bought this rifle not long after Savage came out with the AccuTrigger. I reckon that was 9-10 years ago.
The rifle has the staggered-feed blind magazine and the side bolt-release. The spacing on the action screws is 4-1/4".
Desired budget is in the $200 range ($300 max).

This has been a fantastic rifle. Shortly after I got it I put a Bell & Carlson Medalist stock on it and added a decent fixed 10x scope and I started shooting out to 600 yards up at Camp Butner and competing at the Woody's Designated Marksman events. But these days I just don't do that type of shooting and as a result, this rifle has become a bit of a closet queen. I would like to take her out to dance more often. I want this to evolve from a So I have done the following...

I replaced the fixed 10x scope with a 3-12x scope to improve field of vision. Hunting pigs or deer with a 10x makes it hard for target acquisition.
I had the 24" barrel cut back to 18" to make the barrel lighter and more rigid.
I had the barrel threaded to accept the suppressor that I use on my AR-10 and AR-15's.

I would now like to replace the large/heavy tactical stock (B&C Medalist) with something with more practical and lighter weight. Something with a traditional hunting design would do nicely. No thumbholes or pistol grips to jab me in the back. No more "tacticool".
Just a decent stock for hunting deer, pigs, and coyotes... and punching paper @200 yards or so.

I have found few options available. Some are rather PROUD of their offerings (as in $450 - $570 proud) and I am sure that they are excellent stocks.
I am looking for something in the $200 range and I'm willing to pay $300 if I need to (which I may). But it's gotta be decent. Tupperware will never again touch this rifle. :-)

Manners Stocks has some selection. $570 for the hunting stocks (MCS-EH2, 3, 4, etc)... and for that you only get 2 swivels and single color. They must be great stocks. http://builder.mannersstocks.com/configurator/stock
Stockade Gunstocks seems to make some good stuff from what I've read. I have no experience with their product.
$325 is the base price for a finished & painted stock. Any other options are A-La-Carte.
http://www.stockadegunstocks.com/
Stockys has an H-S Precision for this Savage model. It is ~$350 and I don't have any experience with their product.
https://www.stockysstocks.com/h-s-precision-pro-series-2000-savage-10fp-12-target-varmint-tactical-single-shot-repeater-stocks-psv-102-106-118-121.html

Are there any other options (brands or sources) that I am overlooking ?
Are there any options that are in the $200 range for this rifle anymore?
Do any of you have experience with a Stockade or an H-S Precision stock? (I did find one post where someone indicated they preferred the Stockade.)

Many thanks,
Tony
You might look at Boyd's. I was considering using one of theirs to replace my Tupperware stock but ended up using a BVSS take off. Very nice, a bit heavy, but very nice.

Santander
08-21-2015, 04:33 PM
The only options I've seen from Boyds that will fit are thumbhole or their "Pro Varmint" which is very similar to the Medalist that I already have.
I could be missing something.

ForgivenAll
08-21-2015, 09:07 PM
The only options I've seen from Boyds that will fit are thumbhole or their "Pro Varmint" which is very similar to the Medalist that I already have.
I could be missing something.
Well, how about a Tupperware stock? I know someone who has one! [emoji3]