PDA

View Full Version : new comp and anti virus protection??

LongRange
08-21-2015, 10:07 AM
im going to buy a new computer in the next day or so and was wondering whats a good anti virus? also looking for suggestions on a computer..i like dell and have had pretty good luck with them but keep in mind im technically challenged...i still type with one finger.

it will be used mostly just to surf but my kid does 99% of her school work on the comp...i dont need the supper high end model with all bells and whistles and just need the tower i have every thing else...im looking at some of the $299 price towers at best buy and some suggestions from you techy guys...id like to stay in the 2-400 price range if possible...thanks guys.

LoneWolf
08-21-2015, 10:56 AM
I've been using Trend Micro for years and it has been good for me. Does eat up too much memory either.

EFBell
08-21-2015, 08:17 PM
windows 10 has a good one (or so they say) built in if your going widows 10 that is. I used AVG free for years with no issues on several computers. Had the full version on a work laptop for 4 years or so and never had a problem.

Robinhood
08-22-2015, 01:48 AM
You dont need one. Download Comodo Firewall or better yet go VPN. Never open emails from people you don't know or click anything that does not pass the sniff test. Dont download music or movies from P2P and do not try to crack programs. Run Firefox or Opera Browser.

GaryB
08-22-2015, 09:10 AM
For antivirus software I have been using AVG by Grisoft for as long as I can remember. Efbell mentioned windows built-in spyware, it's called Windows Defender and has been available since Vista I believe. It's probably as good as any other malware/antivirus software.

http://www.microsoft.com/security/pc-security/windows-defender.aspx

Can't help with what computer, have not bought one for 25 years.

kkeene
08-22-2015, 05:17 PM
AVAST. Basic version is free and works better than the other virus software that I have paid for.

LongRange
08-22-2015, 05:56 PM
well I just got back from best buy...I got an HP pavilion 550-a114 with windows 10...$430 out the door with 6mos free anti virus and all that...the wife can fix it up...pretty nice so far...super fast.

Edzzed
08-22-2015, 09:37 PM
I have McAfee. It comes with my internet connection so never had to pay. I assume the IP pays a small portion of what my connection costs me and passes it on to McAfee. I just had to download it and install it. Had it for about 8 years now so it's all good.