PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have experience with Hogue full aluminum bed stocks?

maleus
08-21-2015, 12:21 AM
I was very close to just getting a Boyd's Pro Varmint stock as a stop gap until I could afford a chassis system for my Savage HH.

I started looking at pictures of precision rifles today, and the more I looked at the plain jane simple stocks on rifles, the more it appealed to me. It seems to be the best of both worlds, you can do decent bench/prone shooting with a sandbag, and shoot from your shoulder if you ever wanted to go hunting or hiking.

The Hogue stock seems to fit that bill perfectly. The rubberized grip makes it comfortable, simple look, light, and comes with it bedded.

The issue is that I know that Hogue stocks have a reputation for flexing and touching the barrel. I was considering a Remington 700 until I saw that the fore grip would flex on it (was one of many reasons I decided to go with Savage).

So, anyone have experience with the Hogue stock with the full aluminum bedding? Does it flex? Do they suck in general? Will it help with accuracy over the factory tupperware stock or would I do better just painting that stock black and calling it a day (I don't want to spend unneeded money, I'll sink that into ammo if need be) I like the look, but Im not willing to sacrifice even 0.1 MOA for looks, I want the rifle accurate first and absolute foremost.

darkker
08-21-2015, 09:50 PM
Honestly you asked an unanswerable question, unless YOU answer it.
The Hogue is what most people call "heavy" does that matter to you? The stocks typically do touch a heavy barrel unless you relieve them. Does that matter? That's up to you and the rifle. Some of mine don't care, some do; no single answer.
The Hogue doesn't work for me doing prone shooting. I love the Choate super sniper for that.
So will you give up anything, that really is up to the rifle and the amount of work you put into it.

maleus
08-22-2015, 01:40 AM
I love the Choate super sniper for that.

I had never really considered these, they honestly look kinda cheesy to me. But if they are good, quality stocks, it might be something to consider.

Like I said, I like the looks of a plane jane rifle, but Im not willing to sacrifice accuracy for looks. If something like the Ultimate Sniper is better for my application, then I will make some serious considerations on it.

My application for the rifle is essentially 99.9% punching holes in targets at the range. I shoot from a bench right now, but I want to eventually move to shooting prone. Weight really isn't that much of an issue for me, I figure if I am going to take it hunting, I can switch it back to the factory stock. I can get 1 MOA at 100 yards with it in its factory config, and in my area, deer shots are never ever taken further than that (I don't trust myself to take a shot that far on one anyway).

Mind elaborating a little more on your Ultimate Sniper? Pros, cons?

Thanks for the information!

darkker
08-22-2015, 10:54 AM
The stock is VERY heavy, that alone helps recoil. The metal angle iron, v-block that the action sits in is rock solid. There is NO way the stock will touch any part of the barrel.
The adjustable cheek pieces, angled forend, and buttstock all contribute to an amazing prone shooter for me.
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j84/Darkker13/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20150208_141836_zpsmsmefwpi.jpg