PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever do this?

rcmark
08-20-2015, 09:47 AM
Savage recommended break in procedure:
http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/proceduresbarrelbreakin/

Seems like a LOT of work. Is it worth it?:o

Ham Slamma
08-20-2015, 01:31 PM
That's weird,,,,it says nothing about a "Cool down period"

Russ77
08-20-2015, 02:12 PM
I just did it two days ago. But I did not do the copper solvent part

J.Baker
08-20-2015, 02:18 PM
Want to know how I break in my barrels? I shoot them - a lot! I have NEVER done one of the silly and overly time consuming "shoot once, clean, shoot again clean, shoot 3 shots, clean, etc." routines. In fact, right out of the box (after assuring the bore isn't obstructed by anything) I generally tend to put 40-60 rounds, sometimes even more down the pipe before I even think about introducing it to a patch or brush. The Scout rifle I just reviewed had over 80 rounds through it before I ran the first patch through it. The Stevens 555 I'm in the process of reviewing had over 400 shells through it before I ran a brush through the tubes.

I'm thoroughly convinced that the barrel makers and firearm manufacturers have some secret contract with the makers of cleaning products in that they get a kickback in return for coming up with these goofy drawn-out break-in procedures they recommend to customers that sell lots and lots of cleaning supplies.

DrThunder88
08-20-2015, 02:23 PM
At least they credit Precision Shooting with coming up with the procedure. That strikes me as a good way of deflecting blame.

I have seen some rough looking Savage factory barrels. I don't think any amount of break in would help the rifling I saw, but maybe it would do some good in the leade if it was rough as well. I don't typically bother with doing anything to break in lapped barrels, but I may run some JB Bore Paste through an unlapped factory barrel after its first outing.

mikgarus
08-20-2015, 03:20 PM
ant to know how I break in my barrels? I shoot them - a lot! I have NEVER done one of the silly and overly time consuming "shoot once, clean, shoot again clean, shoot 3 shots, clean, etc." routines. In fact, right out of the box (after assuring the bore isn't obstructed by anything) I generally tend to put 40-60 rounds, sometimes even more down the pipe before I even think about introducing it to a patch or brush. The Scout rifle I just reviewed had over 80 rounds through it before I ran the first patch through it. The Stevens 555 I'm in the process of reviewing had over 400 shells through it before I ran a brush through the tubes.

+1!

big honkin jeep
08-20-2015, 03:47 PM
Every time I buy a new one I follow that procedure exactly.
The first time was in 1996 with a brand new 116FLCSAK. Darn thing shoots the lights out right out of the box with nothing but a little trigger adjustment. No accutrigger no accustock just an old stainless left handed flat back in 30-06 with all the bells and whistles available at the time. That puppy has fired a best group of 10 shots into .446 and amazes everyone that has ever fired it and quite a few who have seen it shoot. All of my rifles are very accurate and I have even taken to thoroughly cleaning and following the procedure on new to me used rifles when I buy em. I cant entirely say the accuracy is entirely due to the break in procedure because it's usually coupled with some load development. On the other hand I can't discount it either and I'm a firm believer that it helps. I do know my rifles with hand loads consistently shoot better than most any of the others at the range including some very expensive big name customs.
So I just keep doing what I've been doing and following the break in procedure is part of it.
Good luck

yobuck
08-20-2015, 05:21 PM
There have been lots of articles written on the subject of barrel break in.
Not all barrel makers agree on it either. Hart and some others dont reccomend
a breakin, while others do. I shot one of the best 5 shot groups i ever shot with a
308 Savage i had sent maybe 30 rounds thru without cleaning while checking loads.
I figure when they need cleaning they will let me know.

rfd12fv
08-21-2015, 06:37 AM
if the barrel is a custom match grade and fully honed (think: big buck$), it's ready to go, just lock, load, shoot. for folks like me with champagne taste and beer pocket book and stock bottom feeder barrels like the axis, i believe they should go through some "break in" period as the lands and grooves will typically not be clean and honed. all it takes is shooting jacketed bullets in a "normal" (not hot) load.

my personal procedure is - first, run a few patches down the barrel that are liberally soaked in butch's bore shine to remove any residual metal particles - you will typically see them on the dirty patches, and you want that krap out of the barrel before the first bullet travels through it. then for every one of the first 5 to 10 rounds down the tube, the barrel gets a reasonably tight patched/jag pushed through that has a liberal amount of butch's bore shine saturated on it. after those 5 to 10 rounds shot, it gets cleaned out the same way after every 5 rounds, for 25 rounds (or, 5 more clean outs). that's about it. i know i've taken care of business, particularly since i can't microscopically see what's going on with the rifling, so doing this procedure is just added insurance.

wbm
08-21-2015, 08:20 AM
I'm thoroughly convinced that the barrel makers and firearm manufacturers have some secret contract with the makers of cleaning products in that they get a kickback in return for coming up with these goofy drawn-out break-in procedures they recommend to customers that sell lots and lots of cleaning supplies.

Me too.

rfd12fv
08-21-2015, 08:36 AM
too many folks don't have a clue what "barrel break-in" is all about.

most who poo-poo break-in procedures don't have clue what it's all about.

hey, it's yer rifle, do as ya please.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXf6oZzLYaY

rcmark
08-21-2015, 10:53 AM
Good video, Thanks!

DrThunder88
08-21-2015, 03:43 PM
I like Rex. He seems like a super amicable guy that loves and knows what he's doing. Still, a good deal of what he proffers in that particular video is apparently apocryphal. I'm glad his method works for him, but I see nothing in that video that leads me to believe he's got the best known way to skin a cat.

rfd12fv
08-21-2015, 06:23 PM
rex knows his chit when it comes to every aspect of military long range sniping. in the above vid, he's very specific and constantly sez some important noteworthy things. the methods he's showcasing are not for everyone ... (most if not all) box stock grade mass produced barrels are typically not honed/lapped and may (i say "will") have microscopic rough bores and metal fragments that can best be addressed by a simple and quick modified break-in regimen (i don't see this as a waste of time, it's just smart thinking and may make for better barrel accuracy and longevity) ... it's not a big deal if you buy an axis and bang away with commercial ammo and never bother to clean anything (but there are lotsa caveats and pitfalls to doing so, and spending a bit of time with a simple break-in regimen makes more sense than unloading three boxes of .308 down range and then zippering up the rifle 'til the next range visit).

rcmark
08-23-2015, 09:27 PM
I did the follwing break in yesterday:

1) Before firing rifle for first time - clean bore and chamber thoroughly
2) Fire 1st shot
3) Clean with mild powder solvent 10 strokes brush
4) Dry bore with patches until clean (usually 3)
Repeat process for each shot for the first 5 rounds

After the first 5 rounds, repeat cleaning process every 5 rounds for the next 25 rounds.

Today I tested this ammo at 100 yards.

http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z429/rcmark/IMG_1785.jpg (http://s1189.photobucket.com/user/rcmark/media/IMG_1785.jpg.html)

TS223A - 223A PMC Bronze 223 Remington Ammo 55 Grain Full Metal Jacket
TSAE223GTV - AE223GTV Federal American Eagle 223 Remington Ammo 50 Grain Tipped Varmint
TS50163 - 50163 Armscor USA 223 Remington Ammo 62 Grain Full Metal Jacket
TSL223R3 - L223R3 Remington UMC 223 Remington Ammo 55 Grain Full Metal Jacket
TSTA223620 - TA223620 TulAmmo 223 Remington Ammo 62 Grain Full Metal Jacket
TS223CA - 223CA Fiocchi Canned Heat 223 Remington 55 Grain Full Metal Jacket
TSX223P1 - X223P1 Winchester Varmint-X 223 Remington Ammo 40 Grain Polymer Tip
TSAE223G - AE223G Federal American Eagle 223 Remington Ammo 50 Grain Jacketed Hollow Point

And the winner is...

AE223GTV Federal American Eagle 223 Remington Ammo 50 Grain Tipped Varmint.

http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z429/rcmark/100yards.jpg (http://s1189.photobucket.com/user/rcmark/media/100yards.jpg.html)

I am sure the groups will tighten up after break in and a trigger job.

daddyusmaximus
08-24-2015, 12:42 AM
I did a break in, but I just ran a boresnake through it between rounds. Maybe it could shoot better, but it does good for me.