PDA

View Full Version : Can someone help me figure out what Boyds stock I should order?

maleus
08-19-2015, 09:08 PM
I have a brand new (purchased today) Savage Hog Hunter in .308.

I would like to put a pro varmint stock on it, but Boyds doesn't offer that option in the Hog Hunter line.

I have seen multiple pictures with hog hunters that have the Pro Varmint stock on it though.

I have gotten conflicting reports from other forums, but I figure someone here can point me in the right direction.

So far I have heard to order the Model 12 version of the Pro-Varmint, and I have heard to order the Model 10 version of the Pro-Varmint.

I know I need a blind internal magazine, I just don't know which one to order.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Robinhood
08-19-2015, 09:12 PM
They are one in the same. Your barrel channel is unique so you will get the bull and have some room on the side or you will get the factory and you will need to take some sandpaper on a dowel and make it fir. You don't have bottom metal so you get the blind mag....unless you buy the bottom metal. You have the top release.

foxx
08-19-2015, 10:04 PM
model 10 center feed, top bolt release, blind mag, bull barrel.

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/ProductDetail/43a17031g203_pro-varmint-savage-10-tbr-blind-mag-short-action-center-feed-bull-barrel-channel-laminate-stock-wblack-textured-paint

I also suggest that you go with a color lamninate stock and then paint it yourself (rather than get black). The price is the same and the wood seems to be harder. Just a suggestion.

BlueDog
08-19-2015, 10:49 PM
@Foxx, I think the color laminate option is an extra $15 (I think some colors were a dollar two more than that). @Maleus, heed Foxx's word, the color laminate is a FAR better product than the plain painted version. I have both, like night and day.

maleus
08-20-2015, 12:23 AM
@Foxx, I think the color laminate option is an extra $15 (I think some colors were a dollar two more than that). @Maleus, heed Foxx's word, the color laminate is a FAR better product than the plain painted version. I have both, like night and day.

Thanks for the input guys!