PDA

View Full Version : Question about Boyds Platinum Stock

jfksc
08-19-2015, 02:37 PM
I have a newer 110 Trophy Hunter XP which came with what I believe is a beechwood or birch stock. Totally functional but I'm looking at getting a Boyds platinum as I'd like the rifle more of it was sitting on walnut with better checkering. I have already swapped the factory plastic trigger guard and plastic bottom metal out for the real metal stuff like what comes on the 114 classic. This required very minor dremel work to make the new mag release clear the stock.

So my question is, when ordering the Boyds Platinum stock should I order the one for a 110 or the one for a 114, since I essentially have a 114 now with the new bottom metal. Are there any other important technical features (i.e. Recoil lug placement, action screw placement, etc) that are different between the newer 110's and 114's? I don't mind doing the 10 minute dremel fix on a 110' stock if needed, but figured that if all things are equal between the two and I have the 114 bottom metal then that would be the best drop in fit.

Thanks

jfksc
08-27-2015, 12:04 AM
Ok well I just ordered the platinum for the 114. Will post it up when I get it and report fit.

J.Baker
08-27-2015, 02:52 AM
I've given up on trying to figure out Boyd's thought process on the Savage 10/110 model descriptions. Their menu on the new site is a cluster-$#&@ to say the least.

jfksc
08-28-2015, 11:09 AM
Their menu isn't so bad when trying to find a stock for a completely factory rifle, but if you have changed anything up, such as adding different bottom metal then it gets tricky. I am 99.9% sure I ordered the right stock, and got confirmation that it shipped yesterday. I'll post up the results when I get it and advise how it works out. I'll own the stock regardless because it's a completely custom spec'd stock...walnut, checkering, recoil pad...the whole deal. The dims on the action, action screws, barrel diameter and all other aspects are identical between the new 110 TH XP and the new 114 Classics...I added the 114 bottom metal with different mag release, so I now essentially have a 114, not a 110, so I ordered the 114 stock from Boyds. If something doesn't fit correctly that can't be remedied with minor dremel work I'll be kinda pissed.

jfksc
09-05-2015, 11:27 AM
Just to update. Stock came in and while the fit was perfect, the checkering was done off center, so going to see if they'll fix that. Besides that it's a beautiful stock. Really wish they hadn't messed the checkering job up though cause I've heard returns are tough through them.