PDA

View Full Version : Pillar bed rear tang float?

ptbobdemaria
08-19-2015, 01:02 PM
Hi guys. I'm having my 116 bear hunter rifle pillar bedded into a laminate stock that I had made for it. I see that everyone recommends floating the rear tang. I am having my gun smith do the work. He recommends bedding the rear tang because it is being pillar bedded. My question is, if I am "pillar bedding"... should I bed the rear tang or float it?
All comments welcome. Thanks guys

upSLIDEdown
08-19-2015, 01:14 PM
Savage rear tangs don't have a bolt in them like a Remmy. That's the reason most people say to float it, because of possibly putting upward pressure on the back of the action when the action screws are torqued down.

olddav
08-19-2015, 01:45 PM
The majority of comments suggest that you float the tang and their reasoning is sound in my humble opinion. There doesn't appear to be any benefit to bedding the tang and in contrast there is some risk associated with it.

ptbobdemaria
08-19-2015, 08:31 PM
That's what I understood... benefits vs. Loss.... I will float. I appreciate the expertise of many of the people on here. Thank you for you comments. I also heard that there is only 1 bolt on the 116 bear hunter that can be bedded... any validity to that?

olddav
08-20-2015, 08:18 AM
It is my understanding that the 116 action is basically a 110 action. On a 110 action you can and should bed both the front and rear action screws You can also install pillars for both action screws although the rear pillar needs to be cut to clear the sear. Here is an example: http://www.varminthuntinginternational.com/Stock%20Bedding.html

olddav
08-20-2015, 08:22 AM
I posted a poor example!
DO NOT CUT THE SEAR!
I repeat DO NOT CUT THE SEAR!

ptbobdemaria
08-20-2015, 10:42 AM
I understand. Thank you!