PDA

View Full Version : Bottom bolt release actions

dpollard
08-18-2015, 12:24 AM
What are short action, 4.4 action screw spacing, bottom bolt release actions worth? I know most people prefer the top bolt release but seems like they are getting tougher to come by. I know many chassis company's make inlets for the bottom bolt release now and a few stock manufacturers do as well. Curious on action value...thanks all!

foxx
08-18-2015, 09:34 AM
Tough call. I think they are the same value, but harder to sell if that makes sense. I say that because i dont want one if top bolt release models are available. Lowerring the price $50 won't help, and expecting a seller to lower the price by $150 is silly. If you are trying to sell it, you might have trouble untill right person comes along. It might be better to ask SSSwhat he charges to convert to top bolt. That cost might be an indicator. I would also be curious.

dpollard
08-18-2015, 10:26 AM
That makes sense. I may see what the conversion will cost, I didn't realize that could be done. Good to know.

daniel87
08-18-2015, 03:42 PM
Looking at the scematics it should be a new sear or moded sear

foxx
08-18-2015, 04:16 PM
The trigger guard and sear are diferent and the side of action needs to be machine flat. Sometimes the sear can be bent a little so no need to machine action, but it can break, too. Its something i would want fred at sss to do if it were me.

dpollard
08-20-2015, 07:21 PM
I sent an email to SSS on the 18th regarding the bolt release conversion. Have not yet got a response. I would bet they are busy so I will wait a few more days.

clintsrv
08-20-2015, 09:11 PM
I have a few bottom release actions that are in top bolt release stocks.
I also use top bolt release trigger guard.

dpollard
08-22-2015, 06:42 PM
I have a few bottom release actions that are in top bolt release stocks.
I also use top bolt release trigger guard.

Did you have to modify the stock at all or was it a drop in fit?

clintsrv
08-22-2015, 07:17 PM
Yes. Minor clearance needed for release lever. Nothing major. If trying to use bottom release trigger guard the trigger inlet will need to be enlarged as they are slightly wider than traditional trigger guards.