PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: Boyd's $92 varmint stock fits Mk II SR FV great!

Bang
08-17-2015, 02:49 PM
Having the Boyd stock and rifle combo for a period of time now, and having the rifle in and out of the stock a couple dozen times, a shininess on the contacting surfaces tells where and how well the receiver is supported. It's pretty darned good as is, I am happy to find. The only thing I would consider doing to it is adding a couple inches of bedded area to the barrel after the front of the receiver to support the first two inches of the barrel. Rifle, as is, is showing so much promise, that contemplated project is on a remote back burner.

One thing I did have to do. The wood is so sparse in the front lug area, the bolt can only bear down on the bottom plate which spans the width of the magazine well and bears on slender ledges at the sides of the plate. The bottom plate (purchased as a separate trigger guard and bottom plate package) is too thin and, with no wood under it to support the plate, the plate bends from torqueing the bolt tight. I made a duplicate plate from 1/8" X 1" aluminum and the bottom plate is now both the aluminum and the steel plate. This gives a sturdy, unchanging bearing surface for the bolt-down of the front lug, the torque of which I have been experimenting with. So far, no noted difference between 10 inch-pounds and 12 inch-pounds. I had started out at 15 inch-pounds, but so far, it seems to do fine at the lower settings.

Heymike
08-22-2015, 05:37 PM
Got any pics? I just ordered a 93r17 FV-SR and it arrives next week; but I was already scoping out the same stock at Boyds. Nutmeg or pepper is the question.

Also curious if you got the trigger guard and bottom plate from Boyds or did you order from DiProductsInc? I am Canadian so DIP won't ship my way. I have no idea if I'm getting a pre-E series or not but I think I need the bottom metal regardless so I was curious if the Boyds parts were metal or plastic. I'm hoping I will just be able to order any needed parts direct from Savage but I need to get my gun first to see if its pre-e I am thinking. Without a serial number I can't see what savage is selling by way of parts.

Bang
08-22-2015, 08:31 PM
No pix that would be anything more than illustrations in the catalog. I ordered the needed 12-32 x 1 inch bolts from DIP. DIP seems to be the only retail source for 12-32 machine bolts. If you cannot get DIP to mail you two, I don't know how you are going to assemble your rifle. Perhaps a custom job at a local machine shop?

I ordered the trigger guard and recommended bottom plate from Boyd's. The trigger guard is metal, as is the bottom plate. The bottom plate I received is only .035" thick. If there is wood beneath the plate at the front lug, it will be fine. If your stock has sparse or missing wood like mine, the bottom plate is too thin to stand up to a tightened lug bolt. You might want to order two, so you can double the plate if needed.

Heymike
08-23-2015, 01:04 AM
Thanks for that tip; I will look at grabbing a second plate. Thanks too for letting me know those screws are a ***** to find; another site says Savage will sell those screws directly (part number 704346) but I can't confirm anything through their site without a serial number. I'll wait till my gun comes next week and/or just call them to see what's what. I see midway sells them for $2/each (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/629908/savage-arms-action-screw-extra-long-savage-mark-ii-93-series-steel-blue) but to keep Canada safe they likely won't send a ****in bolt across the 49th either; ****ing BS laws. I should of just bought a wood stock version or CZ right from the get go but I was keen on this version and pulled the trigger too soon.

Bang
08-23-2015, 11:56 AM
Heymike, thanks so much for the information on Midway having the screws. I had searched via several engines and that never came up. Had I been aware of the Midway screws, I probably would not have posted about re-tapping to 1/4-28. Don't need them now, but if I ever do...

One thing I noticed re the Midway screws. They are Allen, not Torx. DIP's are Torx. Just an observation...

What is keeping the screws out of Canada? Because they are gun parts? High import tariffs? What?

Heymike
08-24-2015, 12:49 AM
Nothing is really keeping them out; they would be legal to ship here as they are just screws. It's just that 90%+ of all their stuff would not be legal to ship here so they don't set up there systems to ship anything here. When I go to fill out my shipping address their is a drop down menu where you need to select a US state. It's understandable from their viewpoint I guess; not like they would make much money on selling $2-5 generic, non-firearm related parts so they just don't factor it into their ordering system.

I'm really surprised Boyds would not stock and sell them like everything else, they state to just go pick them up from a local hardware store but I don't think they realize how rare these are. I went to a couple of hardware stores here this morning and they don't even have these screws in a catalog they can order from. They got bigger ones and smaller ones, but not these unicorns.

Bang
08-24-2015, 12:56 AM
I'm really surprised Boyds would not stock and sell them like everything else Yes! That's the ****dest thing. Defies logic or reason. Well, if need be, maybe I could purchase the screws from Midway and mail them to you?

Heymike
08-25-2015, 08:40 PM
Hey, thanks for that offer, very kind of you. I will try and pursue Savage first to see if they will send them; I think they will but you never know. I sent them an email the other day but they have yet to respond so I'll likely have to call in.

Again, really appreciate that offer bud; nice to know I have an out. Cheers.

Bang
08-25-2015, 08:53 PM
Or you might do better calling Midway CS and place an order by phone. Savage must be busy or something...

Bimmer
09-17-2015, 02:57 PM
No pix that would be anything more than illustrations in the catalog...

Ah, c'mon!

Let's see a FV-SR in the stock. I don't know where I can find a picture of that in a catalog...

jetcycles
09-30-2015, 12:16 PM
FV-SR in black Boyd's Pro Varmint, 93R17-FV in rattlecan camo Boyd's Tacticool, both wear DIP bottom metal...I'm a fan of the setup.

Sorry for whoring out these pics today!

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/30/6e74dbc25f93c7b04e44599edcde2f2a.jpg
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/30/e36bce20335c3d2aa79ede5bf7cc844b.jpg
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/30/f8109fe08603a24e3a81a365502c87be.jpg

Bang
09-30-2015, 03:34 PM
Well, there's the FV SR in a Boyd Varmint stock. No different than mine. Thanks!

Truth be told, I'm a bit intimidated with posting photos. Photo Bucket and Tiny Pics seem to have changed from the last time I used them...wanting more personal info these days and (I suspect) banging out more advertising.

jetcycles
09-30-2015, 05:55 PM
I use tapatalk on my iPhone, makes posting photos a breeze!

Powerstroke
09-30-2015, 06:25 PM
What suppressor is that Silencerco?

jetcycles
09-30-2015, 06:43 PM
TacSol Axiom...works wonderfully with the SK Standard Plus that this rifle seems to enjoy. My FV-SR is intended to be a trainer rifle for my model 10FCP-HS.

Stonewall_Jackson
10-05-2015, 03:06 AM
I maintain a low bandwidth web site just for the purpose of posting photos or the occasional video or mp3 (my stuff). I even create an actual web page once in a while. But for just a couple of bucks a month you can do a whole lot you would never be able to do without it. For one thing I can have my own email domain. More than one if I do it right. I use "my-name-and-wifes-name.com" with our actual names of course. It makes it easy for our friends to remember our email address. There are a bunch of benefits for something that doesn't cost much. I see introductory rates of less than $2 a month and I know there are deals that are very cheap on a continuous setup. I have one. I can host a whole bunch of photos without restrictions and unwanted ads cluttering up the process. Maybe prices have gone up since I signed up many years ago. I don't really know. I just know mine is really cheap and it gives me a ton of benefits other than just hosting a web site. I'm not talking a GoDaddy type situation where they add their name on to your domain name. I have my own domain name. Actually I have 3 of them with 2 parked on the hosting plan for the first. If you have a few bucks a month to spend it might well be worth looking into. I think I pay like $5 a month for 3 domains. I could post 100,000 photos online if I wanted but who does that? I could run a photo hosting site I suppose.

A few years back I hooked up with a photo hosting site out of Hong Kong come to think of it. I could host a lot photos and videos for about $13 a year. I gave it up because I got the web site thing. There are a lot of good ways to host your photos online. I see that Hong Kong site is still in business. You can find it here:

http://www.fotop.net/go/buy

It looks like the $13 a year account is still available. It gives you 3 gig of space. That's a lot of photos for just over $1 a month. It's a lot faster than you would guess considering your stuff is hosted on the other side of the world. Speed was never an issue and there were no hassles about anything. No ads or any of that stuff. They have restrictions on file size etc. but not so it's a problem.