PDA

View Full Version : One step forward, two steps back. Need a single piece scope rail.

North86
08-16-2015, 05:31 PM
I bought my Axis a few months ago, a 308 with the heavy barrel. I wasn't sure if I was going to like the long distance shooting much, so I didn't want to spend too much. I got the two piece scope bases and a cheapo scope.

I was having fun at the range a few weeks ago, and the cheapo scope lost zero, and couldn't hold 0 anymore. So sent it back for warranty replacement.

I was able to pick up a Nikon Prostaff BDC scope for $80. Went to put in on the Axis today, and it's too short to work with a two piece base. Ugh!

I know everyone like the EGW bases, but I have the following issues:

1) $40 with shipping is steep for a $280 rifle. I know, buy once, cry once. I have heard it before. But I can not help but trying to find a better deal.
2) I am hoping to get a base delivered by this Thursday. I'd prefer to use Amazon, for the quick shipping. The EGW bases don't ship Prime.

So is there an alternative? I don't need a 20 MOA base.

TIA

rfd12fv
08-16-2015, 05:53 PM
what i used on my axis hb .308win - http://www.opticsplanet.com/weaver-multi-slot-savage-axis-rifle-scope-base-system.html - $13.00!

better yet, dick's for $5! ... http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=13066658

BlueDog
08-16-2015, 06:19 PM
I used a Warne 1 piece steel rail, ordered from the omnipresent Amazon. Weavers are good as well. EGW was a bit steep for me as well. Good luck.

Rosco
08-16-2015, 08:08 PM
If $40.00 seems like a lot then go with the Weaver it should work fine. Also, make sure your scope rings are compatible.

BlueDog
08-16-2015, 10:06 PM
@Rosco. I read you're reply and I couldn't make sense of the $40 comment. You are completely correct, I somehow had Farrell in my mental map for EGW... Oops! Yes, Farrell was too steep for my budget.

tufrthnails
08-17-2015, 12:32 AM
I seriously cannot help myself...Buy once, Cry once! Okay I got it out of my system. Good luck with your rifle. Hope it works out for you.

DrThunder88
08-17-2015, 02:10 AM
The only thing that I might consider, depending on the ranges you will be shooting, is how much elevation adjustment your scope has and how flat your load shoots. I had a ProStaff 3-9x40 that had about 80MOA of adjustment, i.e. 40 MOA in any one direction. That may be sufficient to get your .308 Win to 1000 yards without an elevated rail, but it could be cutting it close depending on your load.

However, an elevated rail is not the only solution if you do run out of elevation. If you use Burris Signature Zee Rings, for example, there are inserts that can be bought that will give you some extra. Similarly, shimming the scope a base could provide a touch more elevation though I don't know if that's healthy for the scope.

LoneWolf
08-17-2015, 09:53 AM
If there's one thing I've learned after build 6 or 7 rifles over the last 2 years it's that when it comes to firearms. 9 times out 10 you get what you pay for. I've used low end gear, medium level gear, and high end gear. Low end gear was workable, but always found myself tuning or rigging it to work better. Medium gear still required some tuning and periodic tuning after that. High end gear has only needed some personalizing to fit my 6'5" frame, but it does what it's supposed to every time I take it out!

That being said when it comes to scope bases I believe both the weaver and EGW will work for you. I never had an issue with the EGW coming loose and never needed to use any thread locker either.

North86
08-17-2015, 09:56 AM
I used a Warne 1 piece steel rail, ordered from the omnipresent Amazon. Weavers are good as well. EGW was a bit steep for me as well. Good luck.

I've looked for one there, but it isn't clear which rail works with the Axis. Do you have a part number or a link?

North86
08-17-2015, 09:59 AM
I seriously cannot help myself...Buy once, Cry once! Okay I got it out of my system. Good luck with your rifle. Hope it works out for you.

LOL! I understand. The problem is that I am not certain that I am going to really enjoy the long range stuff, so I don't want to spend a lot until I know I will enjoy it.

LoneWolf
08-17-2015, 10:00 AM
LOL! I understand. The problem is that I am not certain that I am going to really enjoy the long range stuff, so I don't want to spend a lot until I know I will enjoy it.
First time you here a piece of steel ring back a few seconds after you hit it you'll be hooked.

Rosco
08-17-2015, 02:15 PM
I had some of the same problems when I put together my first axis I would buy a part and realize that it's either wasn't what I wanted or wasn't going to work and then I would have to spend money on something else. So I understand what it's like to be on a budget and sometimes even 40 or 50 dollars was a pain in the ass that's really what I meant by the statement.

tufrthnails
08-17-2015, 08:13 PM
I will tell you this if you get an EGW, DNZ, or similar and don't like it you will not have a problem getting a little money back out of it, but you will prob eat the cheaper one when you do upgrade. But that said yes I completely understand the battle of how much do i want to spend on the this $300 rifle. I am still behind the 8ball on what I spend on scopes. I am just now starting to get to the $300 range for Glass and it is WELL worth it. I ran $50 walmart chepos for a long time and truely thought it was just the rifles or myself that was the problem. Then I found the barrelnut cult aka Savageshooters.com and they are stretching my wallet! I seriously thought they were crazy when they suggested the DNZ Gamereaper for my TH11 because I was having probs with the factory mounts. I went and looked and was floored $70 shipped for mounts I didn't spend that on a scopes. One of the main reasons I went with the TH was the nikon that came on it (which has been sold and replaced since). Now my muzzleloader has DNZ, My Son's .243 has DNZ, My TH11 .270 has DNZ and my AR will be sporting DNZ soon enough.

OH and whatever you do NO RED LOCTITE! I just did some work on my Cousin's Remi 700 7mm RUM. He was having problems with the leupold mounts coming loose when he first got it, so he RED loctited the mounts to the action and shot it that way for 6 years granted they never loosened up, but I broke 7 bits trying to get them out. LUCKILY I did get all for out, but they will not be going back in DNZ for him as well.

Metz_K
08-19-2015, 02:35 AM
I am in a similar boat where I want to get a 1 piece base. I noticed the Warne base is not slotted its whole length while the EGW is. My question though is on the Weaver base. When I look it up some have a picture showing it slotted the whole length, others show two pieces and it not being slotted the whole length. Can anyone shed some insight on what the Weaver base actually look like.

savage2014
08-19-2015, 02:57 AM
You want weaver model no. 48347

That's what I use on my Axis 223

It comes with 4 screws, the short ones are for the front.

DrThunder88
08-19-2015, 03:59 AM
I am in a similar boat where I want to get a 1 piece base. I noticed the Warne base is not slotted its whole length while the EGW is. My question though is on the Weaver base. When I look it up some have a picture showing it slotted the whole length, others show two pieces and it not being slotted the whole length. Can anyone shed some insight on what the Weaver base actually look like.

My Weaver rail (48347) looks almost like a Picatinny rail, slotted along its entire length. The relationship between the lugs and slots is not the same as Picatinny-spec, but they still will accept Picatinny accessories.

rfd12fv
08-19-2015, 05:20 AM
weaver 48347 on the axis hb .308, sun optics 4-14x44 glass ...

http://i.imgur.com/NVvls6L.jpg