PDA

View Full Version : Savage 110 pilllar bedding

Remingtonman
08-16-2015, 05:26 PM
Im getting ready to pillar bed a savage 110 stock with some lamp rod I picked up at lowes. My problem is, I notice that the lamp rod is round and NOT concave like traditional savage 9/16" pillars so the round lamp rod doesn't follow the round contour of my 110 action. Should I use a different type of pillar to get full surface coverage? Or would I be safe to use the round lamp rod?

BlueDog
08-16-2015, 06:17 PM
Are you are talking about the tops of the pillars being flat? Flat is better in my opinion, as the bedding will fill to fit contour, AND attempting to match the radius EXACTLY would be pretty tough, and if it doesn't match the radius EXACTLY then you could introduce unneeded torque/side loading issues, or at least that's the theory. Lamp rod is good to go.

foxx
08-16-2015, 09:55 PM
+1. absolutely.

Even if you coud position contoured pillars perfectly, that would serve no purpose or offer any benefit over flat-topped pillars.

The pillars are not intended to offer anything like bedding or action support. Their only role is to prevent the screws from crucshing the stock material under torque.

The flat tops, pressed up against the underside of the rounded action will do just that without adding stress or "push/drift" as Blue said. Also, if you do bed the action, the bedding material will seep around and fill that gap you are trying to fill anyhow.

Seriously, don't worry about it. It's a non issue.

tufrthnails
08-17-2015, 12:28 AM
Speaking for experience it is a PITA to try and get the concave pillars installed perfectly straight!

Remingtonman
08-19-2015, 09:50 PM
Thanks for the info guys.