PDA

View Full Version : <Video> The Art of Abandonment - Chanute AFB, IL

1bdvet
08-16-2015, 11:09 AM
Have you ever been stationed here, is so sad ending.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCXYSH3NWw8&feature=youtu.be

davidenorth
08-16-2015, 12:58 PM
My last base in Germany was turned back over to the Germans. I lived on Hahn AB and worked on Wueschheim Air Station as a Security Policeman. Wueschheim is now some kind of amusement park where outdoor concerts are held. I out processed on 20 December 1989 the day we invaded Panama.

yobuck
08-16-2015, 03:12 PM
While i can understand that military bases can become obsolete, i cant understand why perfectly good sound buildings cant be utilized for other purposes.
A hospital or a college campus are but 2 that enter my mind with little thought. But were talking government here, and waste at every level of it takes place.
No cost to them no value to them for those making the decisions.

1bdvet
08-16-2015, 05:49 PM
I use to go TDY to Hahn AB, stayed in the town, found great place that had delicious spicy Pizza. I was also introduced to different type of sausage, some good others not, loved my stay each year.

243LPR
08-16-2015, 07:52 PM
I was at Loring AFB in northern Maine for 9 yrs. They dumped millions into that base then shut it down. There's a few businesses using some of it and they use the runway for a dragstrip and concerts. Your tax dollars at work,what a waste.

savgebolt
08-22-2015, 09:00 AM
hey vet,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,OMG,,,,, cant believe what my eyes are seeing , i was on Chanute the wk end of aug 8th ,,, so sad,,,,my buddy and myself use to shoot skeet at the base every saturday and sunday,,,,,year round,,,,, i was a board member of a club that wanted to rent, buy , lease the skeet and trap fields,,,,,,,,,they wouldnt even dicuss the matter,,,,,,,so whats new