PDA

View Full Version : Measuring the sound level of your firearms

mikein
08-16-2015, 08:59 AM
In case any of you are interested in just how loud (or how quiet) your various firearms/calibers are, there's a nifty little, free app available: Sound Meter It's an Android app in the Smart Tools section, and it works on my iPhone.

DrThunder88
08-17-2015, 02:47 AM
I'd read elsewhere that intense but brief sounds like gunshots are actually difficult to meter. I have a consumer-grade sound meter that is meant for measuring car stereos, and it is all but worthless for gunshots. If I'm looking at the app I think you're talking about, the description says, "...very loud sound(100+ db) cannot be recognized."

mikein
08-17-2015, 06:53 AM
That may be true, but to me, the value of the app is to compare the different sound levels generated by the various firearms I use. The app is not a serious tool for a true audiophile, just a free play thing that allows you to do some comparisons between firearms and calibers for those who might be interested.

darkker
08-17-2015, 02:26 PM
DrThunder88 is correct, and keep in mind about the app:

Remember that SPL numbers are not linear, they work on orders of magnitude. MOST microphones, especially ones that are built for conversation(phones), cannot react quickly enough. So while there is data for a "Comparison" the validity of the numbers has SERIOUS error in them. Not unlike people who "read" pressure from primers and case expansion. Very Carefully calibrated copper crushers, will report pressure swings on the order of 20,000 psi with the exact same components tested. Primers and cases, which are uncalibrated, are not more accurate at it. A portion of the reason that crushers are innacurate is due to the way they respond to moment if inertia, and the inherent "stickyness" of the substrate. Without knowing the pressure curve of a powder further complicates things.

To bring that back around to the sound measurements, if the speakers are pushed beyond their capabilities any info is at best very suspect. So what the numbers tell you may be primarily anecdotal at best.

mikein
08-17-2015, 04:37 PM
OK, DrThunder88 and darkker, you win! I lose! I'm really sorry I shared this information about the Sound Meter. To any of you who read my post and may have installed this free app on your iPhone or Android device, thinking it could be usable, interesting, or fun, please remove the app immediately, since it will obviously not provide you with any useful information. mea culpa.

sharpshooter
08-17-2015, 07:10 PM
Most gunshots from hi-power rifles are 100+ decibels. Hearing damage occurs @ 130 dbs.

darkker
08-17-2015, 08:48 PM
From Spl testing by those with the correct equipment, typically tested for suppressors; most hunting rifles are 135-145 db.

DrThunder88
08-18-2015, 02:41 AM
Sorry if it seems like we're coming down hard on you, mikein. The sound levels of gunshots are tricky things to measure and can be dangerous if misunderstood. For example, has the app given you a measurement of 130+dB? Someone who isn't aware that gunshots aren't easily metered might interpret a falsely low reading as being genuine and estimate the hearing hazard as being lower than what it is. If the app gives consistent but false readings, that might be worth something. If 20 shots from a .300 Weatherby Magnum carbine average 107dB and the same number of shots from a 20" .300 Blackout averages 103dB, you could make an argument that the meter measures relative loudness independent of recoil and muzzle flash (assuming there isn't a great deal of overlap in the data).

Edzzed
08-18-2015, 08:54 PM
The sound meter in my head says my .22 is mostly quiet but the .270 Axis is frigging loud. More so when I fired it for the first time. Laying on a foam mat in the back of my truck. Truck has a canopy on it. That was the first time I had ever heard a high powered rifle shoot. I now have ear plugs and ear muffs to go over them. After that first shot, I knew I needed to fire from outside the truck and rested the bipod on the fender instead.

langenc
09-16-2015, 07:06 PM
Most gunshots from hi-power rifles are 100+ decibels. Hearing damage occurs @ 130 dbs.

Many 22 LR shots are 135 dB...about the same as a jet engine. ALWAYS wear muffs. Also were when running or around any motorized 'thing'=
lawn mower. tiller, esp leaf blower, chain saw, splitter.. You get the idea. I didnt and now it is catching up w/ me(us)..

langenc
09-16-2015, 07:07 PM
Sorry if it seems like we're coming down hard on you, mikein. The sound levels of gunshots are tricky things to measure and can be dangerous if misunderstood. For example, has the app given you a measurement of 130+dB? Someone who isn't aware that gunshots aren't easily metered might interpret a falsely low reading as being genuine and estimate the hearing hazard as being lower than what it is. If the app gives consistent but false readings, that might be worth something. If 20 shots from a .300 Weatherby Magnum carbine average 107dB and the same number of shots from a 20" .300 Blackout averages 103dB, you could make an argument that the meter measures relative loudness independent of recoil and muzzle flash (assuming there isn't a great deal of overlap in the data).

In this state on may NOT shoot from IN or ON a motor vehicle..

Twinsen
09-17-2015, 02:05 AM
The duration of the report of a firearm is too brief for your cell phone's microphone to pick up. It is more likely to gauge the ability of your environment to echo the report than the report itself. The results you'll get won't be a little off, they'll be extremely far off. Like... weighing cars with a scale that only goes up to 5 pounds.

BillPa
09-17-2015, 09:41 AM
I didn't and now it is catching up w/ me(us)..

Yep, as the Pa Dutch say, "oalt to soon, schmart too late". Years ago one was a wimp if they wore ear protection at the range, weeses was big tough guys back then. Today I use plugs and electronic muffs together at the range, mowing grass, running the leaf blower and especially when Maw gets to yack'n .:p Doc says my left ear isn't getting any worse but it ain't ever gonna get any better. I only notice the constant ringing when its quiet.

Bill