PDA

View Full Version : 6.5mm 140gr Hornady BTHP Seating Depths

Pages : [1] 2

benchrest
08-16-2015, 12:04 AM
Hey guys ,I was over visiting a guy this evening (Drinking beer) & he sold me a few box's of Hornady 140gr BTHP in 6.5mm. Was going to use them for plinking or coyotes etc. in my model 12 lrp in .260 rem. Was looking for some seating depth suggestion's as how far off the rifling you folk's might be seating them. All input is appreciated ...

Thanks in advance ...
Cheer's : Ron

BoilerUP
08-16-2015, 07:26 AM
They are very jump friendly bullets; in my 6.5 Creedmoor they are jumping at least 0.035" and shooting nicely (though I have not attempted to tweak seating depth for maximum accuracy).

In my 260, I started at 0.010" jump and moved off in increments until I found best accuracy.

darkker
08-16-2015, 12:45 PM
A bullet that is terribly "sensitive" to jump, is like a woman constantly nagging and complaining; and both should be disposed of in the same expedient fashion.

Hornady isn't fickle, standard 0.032" jump will work well with about any bullet.

Robinhood
08-16-2015, 01:29 PM
2 wise shooters have spoken. Anything that differs from their opinion is supplemental at best.

benchrest
08-16-2015, 02:06 PM
Thanks' guy's.

Cheer's

LongRange
08-16-2015, 02:46 PM
ive shot about 6-700 of these and could never get them to shoot consistently with any powder/primer or seating depth combo i tried...hopefully they will shoot better in your rifle.

yobuck
08-16-2015, 03:40 PM
A bullet that is terribly "sensitive" to jump, is like a woman constantly nagging and complaining; and both should be disposed of in the same expedient fashion.

Hornady isn't fickle, standard 0.032" jump will work well with about any bullet.

Ive noticed you say that quite often. I could put you in touch with some very knowlegable people who would dissagree with you.
Order of priorities, #1 a bullet the barrel likes. #2 the proper seating depth. #3 powder and charge weight.
Some guns might like several powders and a range of charges. Find the velocity range your looking for with a bullet the barrel likes and tweek the seating depth
for best accuracy.

darkker
08-16-2015, 09:50 PM
Yes, many probably will disagree with me. I'm certain one of them would be Brian Litz. I would imagine he had some very eloquent scientific reason why seating depth should be more important to me and the world.
I would enjoy a conversation with him about it. I would also love to discuss the new Hybrid bullets which are more of a "standard" bullet like Sierra/Nosler/Hornady. Which are built that way to be like them, not temperamental to seating depth.

Since I've been shooting beyond 1,000 yards, I've found that seating depth is FAR from my first concern. With corroboration from a Pressure Trace, finding a consistent timing node is FAR more important than the rest.

It's all a function of a system, but at least in my system using several different bullets; the jump is a rather minor part of that system.

So to each his own, but with as many different good bullets, who are not sensitive to depth; I see no reason to tolerate one that is.

yobuck
08-17-2015, 07:18 AM
Yes, many probably will disagree with me. I'm certain one of them would be Brian Litz. I would imagine he had some very eloquent scientific reason why seating depth should be more important to me and the world.
I would enjoy a conversation with him about it. I would also love to discuss the new Hybrid bullets which are more of a "standard" bullet like Sierra/Nosler/Hornady. Which are built that way to be like them, not temperamental to seating depth.

Since I've been shooting beyond 1,000 yards, I've found that seating depth is FAR from my first concern. With corroboration from a Pressure Trace, finding a consistent timing node is FAR more important than the rest.

It's all a function of a system, but at least in my system using several different bullets; the jump is a rather minor part of that system.

So to each his own, but with as many different good bullets, who are not sensitive to depth; I see no reason to tolerate one that is.

Well i didnt have Litz in mind when i made my comment. And for what its worth i havent read any of his books or hang on his opinions either.
He lost me a few years back on a dicussion we had on another site. He stated that with proper dialing, first round hits at 2000 yds could be (expected).
But he failed to say by who, with what, and how often. So it was simply a statement of no value. Of coarse that was all about throwing red meat to his lap dogs.
Anyway, you have obviously researched your opinions and find they work for you. But not all cartridges have a wide range of good bullet/powder options either.

darkker
08-17-2015, 10:36 AM
He stated that with proper dialing, first round hits at 2000 yds could be (expected).
But not all cartridges have a wide range of good bullet/powder options either.

Yeah, that first one would have turned me off as well.

Out of curiosity, what would you use as an example of a cartridge with limited powders/bullets?

gotcha
08-17-2015, 01:15 PM
Different barrels/actions = different results. My 6.5 never shot acceptably well (for me) 'til I jammed .008" to .010". With Scenars mine grouped like a shot gun @ .032" OTL. Different folks..... Different strokes.

eddiesindian
08-19-2015, 01:56 PM
Hey guys ,I was over visiting a guy this evening (Drinking beer) & he sold me a few box's of Hornady 140gr BTHP in 6.5mm. Was going to use them for plinking or coyotes etc. in my model 12 lrp in .260 rem. Was looking for some seating depth suggestion's as how far off the rifling you folk's might be seating them. All input is appreciated ...

Thanks in advance ...
Cheer's : Ron
I will admit, this bullet (for me)proved to be time consuming as far as load development. I was hell bent on getting them to work for me and after about 150 pills out the tube, I finally hit pay dirt.
41.5gr IMR4350
LC 260 Brass
no crimp
2748fps
.020 from the lands

3800ft elev.
Model 12 LRP in 260 24" 1-8twist

benchrest
08-19-2015, 04:01 PM
Thanks for all the input guy's....very helpful. I did try different seating depths like .010 jam to .050 off, but never went that high with powder charge's. Gonna try a bit more powder this weekend. Sure seems like this lrp in .260 is a little fussy with what she is fed. She seems to love the Berger hybrid's & imr-4451, but everything else seems to open up past the 200 yard mark. And I mean like shot gun pattern's..LOL.. Even after I bedded the action & hand lapped the barrel...

But I will keep at it....Thanks again for sharing the knowledge & experience guy's it sure help's in cost & time.

Blessing's : Ron

eddiesindian
08-19-2015, 06:22 PM
Thanks for all the input guy's....very helpful. I did try different seating depths like .010 jam to .050 off, but never went that high with powder charge's. Gonna try a bit more powder this weekend. Sure seems like this lrp in .260 is a little fussy with what she is fed. She seems to love the Berger hybrid's & imr-4451, but everything else seems to open up past the 200 yard mark. And I mean like shot gun pattern's..LOL.. Even after I bedded the action & hand lapped the barrel...

But I will keep at it....Thanks again for sharing the knowledge & experience guy's it sure help's in cost & time.

Blessing's : Ron

yep...my lrp took me some time to find what it likes as well.
I was able to tune berger 130gr target vld much faster. .002 of the lands

benchrest
08-19-2015, 06:57 PM
Eddiesindian , do mind if I ask what you run for the 130gr Berger's in reference to powder. I have the Berger manual & don't mind at starting at the bottom & working up to find what she likes. Just want to get as much as I can out of this factory barrel. In regards to accuracy & any suggesting you might have in what else I might be able to fine tune this lrp rifle. As I stated above guy's I have, bedded the action & base, fine tuned the torque sequence in regard's to the action & also spent numerous hour's & countless drop's of sweat hand lapping the bore. And I will admit the factory bore was a little rough (chatter mark's) compared to the model 12 lrp in 243 & vlp 22-250 which both seem's to digest any thing I feed them.....

Once again guy's I really do appreciate everyone's reply's......

Blessing:Ron

yobuck
08-19-2015, 08:42 PM
Yeah, that first one would have turned me off as well.

Out of curiosity, what would you use as an example of a cartridge with limited powders/bullets?

Large 338s like Cheytec, big baer, Allen, 358 BAER, large 375s, and of coarse 50s.

benchrest
08-20-2015, 02:58 AM
Eddiesindian , do mind if I ask what you run for the 130gr Berger's in reference to powder. I have the Berger manual & don't mind at starting at the bottom & working up to find what she likes. Just want to get as much as I can out of this factory barrel. In regards to accuracy & any suggesting you might have in what else I might be able to fine tune this lrp rifle. As I stated above guy's I have, bedded the action & base, fine tuned the torque sequence in regard's to the action & also spent numerous hour's & countless drop's of sweat hand lapping the bore. And I will admit the factory bore was a little rough (chatter mark's) compared to the model 12 lrp in 243 & vlp 22-250 which both seem's to digest any thing I feed them.....

Sorry for this post guy's ,,,I did some searching & found the info.....

cheer's

eddiesindian
08-20-2015, 11:14 PM

I ended up with 40.5g of IMR 4350. Nosler brass (not crazy about). Collet sized. 210M Fed Prim. .002 from the lands. 130gr Berger Target VLD
2750fps
3800ft elev.
70-80dg temps.
Now that were in the 100dg temps here in the desert southwestern part of TX, Im seeing minor signs of temp related issues with that powder. More noticeable when Im sending from 900 out to 1350yds.
I too had slight chatter marks on the rifling that I saw up close thru a Snap On HD Borescope.
I didn't do anything to rig........nothing. I just cked the torque on the action bolts. Some break in on the barrel.
These are my results varying seating depths after I started zering in with the 140 hornadys mhpbt . I don't have a pic of the berger Patterns (yet)
5 shot pattern @ 100yds

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x88/eddies880/20150704_133020_zpszfesdmdc.jpg

benchrest
08-21-2015, 08:01 PM
Thanks for all the input guy's ..very helpful.

LongRange
08-21-2015, 08:58 PM
Id take 140g custom comps over hornadys any time...easier to work with and are not much more...i think about $65 bucks for a 250 box.