PDA

View Full Version : What walkie talkies are you using and ...

Robinhood
08-14-2015, 09:14 PM
.....what do you like about them? The range?

BlueDog
08-15-2015, 12:50 AM
Which Walkie Talkie? Apple iPhone 6. What do I like best about it? I can zip on here and make smart aleck replies while waiting in line at the store.

Seriously though, since their widespread use and my eventual adoption, I never use my Motorola radios. They work well, but my brother and I stopped using them years ago. Granted we have good coverage here that might not be found in more remote regions. (And during lulls in the deer stand, I get some serious Angry Birds action, AND my wife likes the notion that I can call if I need help).

Robinhood
08-15-2015, 10:08 AM
I'm looking for something where here are no cell towers. Model numbers with true field results and reviews would be nice. I just don't trust amazon to tell me what to buy. Thanks for the response

davidenorth
08-15-2015, 10:20 AM
I have been looking myself too. Walkies would be a nice addition to cell phones.

huntin1
08-15-2015, 10:39 AM
My hunting partner and I both have the Cobra Micro Talk PR 1000, advertised with a 5 mile range, but that will depend on terrain features. Most of the time I can get somewhere in the 3-4 mile range. It is both FRS and GMRS, which is handy when someone in your party has only FRS. We don't use them much anymore as the areas we hunt have good cell coverage, but they did work well before cell coverage was available. We still take them along just in case we get into an area with no cell service.

Robinhood
08-15-2015, 06:09 PM
That's what I was looking for. Thanks for taking time to respond.

yobuck
08-15-2015, 07:22 PM
There would be a few places on the ridge tops having cell service here. No doubt time will change that.
We use radios very sparingly, and mainly for directing a person to an animal after its been shot.
The Motorola talk about has worked well for us even when the distance is several miles.