PDA

View Full Version : ok ya'll talked me into a vortex but got a ?

lal357
06-01-2010, 09:50 PM
like it says gonna go with a vortex crossfire but the only recticle they have for the 8x32x50 ao is fine plex .the question is how fine is it it will be a target scope only and i'm wanting a fine crosshair (the one i have now is a mildot and covers the 1" circle @ 100yrds ) i know its a ffp so the higher magnification the hairs will be thicker.

hotbrass
06-01-2010, 11:02 PM
Crossfire does not have a FFP reticle. It is in the second focal plane, SFP.

lal357
06-02-2010, 05:10 PM
yea you are right i contacted them today and it is the sfp how are the fine plex cross hairs . i guess with it actually being the sfp they should be fine turned up for bench shooting

lal357
06-03-2010, 05:15 PM
ordered it today

82boy
06-03-2010, 11:45 PM
The "v-plex" is fine enough for target work. The center section of the plex is not a hole lot thicker than the hairs on a Weaver t36.

AustinCQC
06-08-2010, 08:54 AM
Email came in letting me know mine is on the way ;D....after being back ordered for over a month... ::) Can't wait!

LG
06-08-2010, 09:57 AM
Quick quesyion for those familiar with the Vortex Crossfire 8-32X50:

How many MOA per turret turn does the scope have?

I checked the specs posted on Vortex website but this info is not there. I did find that it has 75 MOA of total elevation and windage travel, which is pretty good. Still curious to know how many MOA per turn.

Thanks

AustinCQC
06-08-2010, 10:14 AM
I'm making a quick stop at SWFA this afternoon (hopefully...traffic willing) and will see if I can find out.

lal357
06-08-2010, 06:41 PM
checked the fedex web site its in GA one state over will be here tomorrow already got the old scope off guns sitting there waiting .bad thing is its gonna be about 2 weeks before i get to shoot with it got a pool tourney this weekend and gun show the next i think this time i'm going to see just how good it hold zero gonna site it in as usual but instead of moving the rifle up and over to the next circle i'm going to move the hairs using the turrets then turn them over to the right for the next and back down to center/zero to see if it holds true . it should be a good test

oldguy
06-10-2010, 11:16 AM
Also looking at the Vortex crossfire in 8-32x50, hard to locate reviews on this particular vortex scope, I'm curious if most are used on rimfire or center fire, or if they will handle recoil in the 308 category.

sharpshooter
06-11-2010, 12:59 AM
I don't know why they wouldn't handle the recoil, they are a centerfire scope. I sold lots of them to F class shooters with no complaints.

lal357
06-12-2010, 09:10 AM
finally got a chance to get it mounted at first i thought the scope is sitting forward to much but then when i put it next to my 308 gun and get the bolts even thier the same so i'm going to have to add a spacer to the butt for some more length .man is it clear bore sighted it on 8 power the cranked it up to 32 no fuzzy ring aroung the out side . any way heres some pics .

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b104/lal357/target%20rifles%20and%20target%20pics/savagetarget005.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b104/lal357/target%20rifles%20and%20target%20pics/savagetarget006.jpg

oldguy
06-12-2010, 10:40 PM
What height rings did you use.?

lal357
06-13-2010, 02:17 AM
not the height they came with the gun there tally 2pc the front Ao just clears if i was to guess i'd say med. the ones on the tigershark are high becuase of the super high cheek weld it has until i get a new stock for it then i'll be lowering them i normally like my scopes to sit as low as possible . funny thing is i was looking for a stock and bought the mod12lrpv instead.

oldguy
06-13-2010, 02:49 PM
not the height they came with the gun there tally 2pc the front Ao just clears if i was to guess i'd say med. the ones on the tigershark are high becuase of the super high cheek weld it has until i get a new stock for it then i'll be lowering them i normally like my scopes to sit as low as possible . funny thing is i was looking for a stock and bought the mod12lrpv instead.

I have a savage 93 17hmr thumb hole that requires high rings due to stock, I really don't mind prefer a little clearance at front of scope, I was thinking of putting a 8-32x50 crossfire on my Savage BTVS 223 believe it would require high or extra high rings.

AustinCQC
06-18-2010, 09:27 AM
I used the EGW 20 moa base with Burris XTR medium rings. My crossfire has plenty of room to spare (although I wouldn't go to the low rings). It's an INCREDIBLE SCOPE for the money! Heck, having looked through mine, I would buy one for twice as much.

I was looking around my girlfriend's neighborhood after I had it mounted to read stuff on people's doors and satellite dishes for clarity testing and noticed that when the scope is completely zoomed in, there is the slightest distortion around the edge. I only noticed it after looking at a sparrow sitting on a roof about 180 yards away...the roof at the very VERY edge of the glass made a slight angle instead on continuing in a straight line. I wouldn't call it "fisheye" by any means due to the very small amount of distortion. I wouldn't have noticed (and didn't notice when I was looking at front doors and breaker boxes and those hideous yard boxes that the city loves to place in random front yards) had I been at the range or hunting. But since I was looking at a straight line, I could see it.

If you're one the fence, jump off and buy the Crossfire. Lifetime transferrable warranty!! Very clear glass. Very audible and tactile turrets. It's a very sweet scope!! I emailed Vortex letting them know I was going to try out the Crossfire and then get a PST if I like it. Here's the response that I got in about 2 hours...

"Jason,
Welcome to the Vortex family. The Crossfire's are our entry line optics and are great scopes for the money, but they don't even begin to show the quality of our Viper line or even the DiamondBacks. Like I said though the Crossfires are great for the money and for what you have to pay for them should make anyone pleased. Feel free to contact us anytime.

Best Regards
Scott Parks

www.vortextactical.com

www.facebook.com/vortexoptics"

To me, having a response like that says a lot about the company.