PDA

View Full Version : Blind mag to detachable

handirifle
08-13-2015, 02:17 AM
I have an older 110 long action, that came factory drop box mag, wood stock. It currently wears a synthetic stock but is a bling mag, that I would like to convert to detachable. My wood stock uses the inset button to release, and I have no idea if the synthetics use the same design. I am pretty sure I can set the button in the syn stock, but don't want to pry it out of the wood one until I know for sure it is what I need.

Thoughts, suggestions?

lrshooting
08-13-2015, 09:30 AM
So your wood stock uses detachable mag or what? Sorry I am just confused.

As far as I know, the LA savages are pretty much the same old or new except for the bolt release. Depending on whether you have the accutrigger or not, there are several detachable bottom metals to choose from. If you wanna go with savage mags, I think you have to get a dbm from savage, but if you would like to switch to a different mag style like aics or it's copies from accurate mag and others, badger ordinance, surgeon, cdi, and ptg all make quality stuff, the first two more so then the others but also at premium prices. I went ptg but they have basically have non existent customer service and id rather go through cdi next time.

handirifle
08-13-2015, 12:14 PM
Thought I made it clear, but I guess not. Mind's eye I guess. :) It's a pre-accutrigger model and it came as a wood stock, drop mag, I converted it to synthetic, but no drop mag stocks were available at the time. I have swapped parts many times on this rifle, and own several Savage rifles, but none of the synthetic stocked ones are drop box magazine. I have stiffened the forend of this synthetic and modified the stock to fit me perfectly, (comb height, length of pull, etc) so I am a little reluctant to ditch the stock and start over, which is why I posted the question.

Oh yes it's LH model also, which makes finding a stock even tougher. I might just have to go back to the wood one and make is like I did the synthetic. Just liked the weatherability of the synthetic one.

handirifle
08-13-2015, 07:42 PM
I looked at the suggested magazines, but I am wondering if anyone has adapted the factory magazine and side push button over from a wood to synthetic stock? The synthetic stock is NOT cut for it. Just wondering if anyone has done it. This is a 30-06 hunting rifle and not interested in tactical parts. I have yet had to fire a second shot with it on a deer, so a 10 round mag isn't needed.

Thanks for the feedback though.

foxx
08-13-2015, 09:28 PM
They were originally available with synthetic stocks, hardwood and Walnut. I have converted quite a few SF blind mags to the old style DBM you are asking about, but have never gone from wood to synthetic. I see no reason why it can't be done, though. The bottom metal is not used in the synthetic models, they just cut a hole in the bottom of the stock and slipped the mag through it. Was kind of crude looking, but it worked. Mine have all been RH, of course, so I can't offer you a stock or I would.

Don't know if that helps any, but at least you know they were once available. Might check Numrich.

foxx
08-13-2015, 09:31 PM
Don't pry anything out of the wood stock... I am sure Numrich has the button... might have the ring around the button hole, but I don't think the plastic stocks even had that trim piece, just the hole and relief molded into it, IIRC.

handirifle
08-14-2015, 12:45 AM
Yea I never thought about Numrich, good idea. Thanks for the offer but those stocks are cheap, when available, and I have one already. I could probably figure out a way yo use heat to mold in the recess, since there is no ring around it. Wonder why no bottom metal though, that would look like crap I think. The magazine sits so nice and flush with it, and I liked the look.

handirifle
08-14-2015, 01:03 AM
Checked, Numrich doesn't have the parts, bummer. Might end up just making the wood stock work. Not the end of the world, just a little set back is all.

ewwestsr
09-03-2015, 08:35 PM
I have a question, and not trying to hijack this thread, but:
I got a Stevens 200 in 300 win mag, with the blind mag.
If I found a Savage 110 L/A stock with the cutout for the mag drop, how could I go about making this action work with a drop mag?
Any special adapters? or just drop the action in, and the stock is ready for the drop mag?

handirifle
09-04-2015, 12:44 AM
It depends, if it's a stagger feed, then you need a magazine, a magazine well, and any metal or whatever is on the bottom of the stock. Older models have a push button on the side of the stock. Newer versions I am not sure, others will know.