PDA

View Full Version : removing crimp from military brass

boy412
06-01-2010, 02:48 PM
I'm trying to learn the best way to remove the crimp on my once-fired LC brass. I have a RCBS swager die, and I think I have it adjusted correctly...but when I try and seat primers they don't seat deeply enough.

Any tricks I should know about? Debating getting the primer pocket reamer for my Wilson trimmer.

rjtfroggy
06-01-2010, 05:05 PM
Answered your own question.Primer pocket tool.

Eric in NC
06-01-2010, 05:12 PM
Well if you can't seat the primers you don't have it adjusted correctly. The RCBS swager works but it is a PITA. Easy and cheap is the Lyman hand reamer tool - just a fluted cutter on a wooden handle. You can do it over a tray while you are watching TV. That would be what I would get if I only had a couple of hundred to do.

If you have a lot to do, the Dillon swager is the ONLY way to go - great tool that results in perfect pockets.

wbm
06-01-2010, 05:23 PM
Easy and cheap is the Lyman hand reamer tool - just a fluted cutter on a wooden handle.

+1

boy412
06-01-2010, 05:29 PM
Well if you can't seat the primers you don't have it adjusted correctly. The RCBS swager works but it is a PITA.

I'll try fiddling around with the mandrel depth and die body depth. You're right though... that swager die is a total PITA!

:)

Slowpoke Slim
06-01-2010, 07:45 PM
I always just used the Lyman tool. Works great, it's just not fast. It only takes a couple of turns for each piece though. I think it still comes with both large and small reamers, mine did.

laportecharlie
06-01-2010, 08:32 PM
Like Eric said: If you have a bunch to do, bite the bullet and get the Dillon.
Charlie

5spd
06-01-2010, 09:19 PM
I always just used the Lyman tool. Works great, it's just not fast. It only takes a couple of turns for each piece though. I think it still comes with both large and small reamers, mine did.

I just take the reamer off and stick it in a cordless drill and hit the crimps/pockets, that makes it way faster than turning by hand. Ive done 6k this way so far.

desertdog
06-01-2010, 11:55 PM

I just take the reamer off and stick it in a cordless drill and hit the crimps/pockets, that makes it way faster than turning by hand. Ive done 6k this way so far.
+1