PDA

View Full Version : AI mag in 308 SA.

lrshooting
08-10-2015, 03:29 PM
Ive been slowly, (really slowly) getting all my parts and tools needed for my build. I got a PTG dbm (excellent product, terrible CS), but they sent me no instructions and even after I called them, they didn't give me any specs for spacing the DBM from the action to get proper feeding.

Ive played around with it and it seems that there is some space between not feeding and the magazine not seating so I assume it doesn't have to be super precise. Regardless, im not going to butcher my McMillan a5, bed it, and figure out it is wrong.

I thought what might be a good idea is to tighten the dbm small amounts at a time until the mag barely clips in and then loosen it back a turn or two to allow function if any dirt or debris gets in there. Id use a plastic tube from a pen as make shift pillars while I'm constantly adjusting and then measure the end result for the aluminum pillars. I'll listen to you more educated folks first and see what the general consensus is first though.

264co
08-10-2015, 11:12 PM
Man i just got through modifying on of those. Yea terrible cs. I am building a stock so inletting wasn't a problem for me but I have been building the pillars to get the mag to load and they ended up being so short I had to file them down so they didn't interfere with the both. Also the trigger is getting pretty close to the guard so i might have to mod that. All in all I am happy now but if i were trying to fit this into a mcmillan I would be pissed. Sounds like you are on the right track.
good luck

lrshooting
08-11-2015, 12:46 AM
Man i just got through modifying on of those. Yea terrible cs. I am building a stock so inletting wasn't a problem for me but I have been building the pillars to get the mag to load and they ended up being so short I had to file them down so they didn't interfere with the both. Also the trigger is getting pretty close to the guard so i might have to mod that. All in all I am happy now but if i were trying to fit this into a mcmillan I would be pissed. Sounds like you are on the right track.
good luck
I assume you are using ptg dbm? Don't worry about the trigger. Ive been messing with it for the last couple of hours and it seems to have enough clearance while still being able to feed. It'll reduce your over travel though. I may mod mine any way just because I think it's ignorant to make it that close to the sear. I'm gonna have to cut some pillars out of tube I think because my pen tube idea isn't working. To much squash when I'm trying to test it so solid pillar and shims will serve me better. I'll make the final set later out of solid aluminum stock. Still trying to decide on final spacing though. Im going for good engagement of rim on bolt but not too much or the bolt rubs pretty good on the next cartridge. Ive dented cases before with that kinda stuff