PDA

View Full Version : Re-barrelling savage model 10 or 12 rifles

Jtram201
08-10-2015, 08:35 AM
I am in the market for a new rifle. I would really like to find a fcp-sr in 308 that I could buy an additional barrel in 6.5 Creedmoor that would also be threaded for a muzzle break as well. I have contacted one of the suppliers from this forum and was told that sometimes there are issues with the second barrel fitting properly. I am not a gunsmith and do not want to have this issue if I chose to go this route.

I have recently had neck surgery two months ago and I am still having some issues from that surgery the reason I am asking for the muzzle breaks trying to lighten the recoil. Both barrels I would like to be 24" in length.

I am coming to this group for advice to see if this is a viable option or just get a rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor and then a 308 barrel later.

Lastly should I just be looking for something in 260 Remington since I reload also

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Jim

stomp442
08-10-2015, 10:49 AM
Not sure what the problem would be for the 2nd barrel not fitting properly. As long as you make sure and get the correct shank size on the barrel they will screw right on. As far as calibers go they are pretty much identical as far as performance goes so it all depends on what you really want. I prefer the .260 for the simple fact that you can form cases from any .308 based varient with ease if the need arises.

Jtram201
08-10-2015, 11:03 AM
Thanks stomp for the reply

foxx
08-10-2015, 05:27 PM
I have never been able to get more than one barrel to fit on any of my actions (at the same time). However, once I remove it, I find it quite easy to add another. ;)

My guess is you misunderstood something you were told, but I could not imagine what else it might have been. Kinda weird.

Jtram201
08-10-2015, 06:22 PM
Thanks Foxx. At the time I was looking at the 10 Max 1 in 6.5 Creedmoor and was going to buy a 308 barrel later. Yes I fully understand that the rifle couldn't be an over and under ( LOL) but I am sure I was told that sometimes they do not fit exactly correct which could require stock modifications.

Just wondered if anyone else had that experience

Michadian
08-10-2015, 06:27 PM
The only other issue that I can think of if you wish to swap barrels is that of stock fit. If the stock is inlet for a varmint contour, a sporter contour or varmint barrel should drop right in, but not the other way round.

earl39
08-10-2015, 11:21 PM
Not knowing exactly what was said but I would bet the timing of the brake was what would throw the fit off. Easy to fix with shims and a crush washer or a little extra thread and a lock nut to hold the brake in place.

And foxx does sidebyside not over and under. He just thinks it is over and under. A side effect of not wanting to get up any more than one has to. I use a single shot so I don't get confused. But I do have trouble pouring the third or fourth drink sometimes.

Robinhood
08-10-2015, 11:39 PM
There are two sizes of threads for the savage actions. Large and small. You more than likely have a small unless it is a target action or a WSM action. the only other thing it can be is like you mentioned, barrel channel not being large enough.