PDA

View Full Version : bedding 10fcp in an accustock??

MissouriTrapper
08-09-2015, 01:22 AM
I recently bought a new model 10fcp in 308 win. 24" heavy fluted barrel. 5r 11.25" twist rifling. In the accustock. I want to squeeze every last bit of accuracy that i can out of it and was wondering id it was worth bedding over the alluminum bedding blocks in the factory stock or if i should just skim bed it? I stumbled onto a hadload today (after lots of other testing) that grouped 0.65" @ 100yds using a 168gr amax. Which is plenty accurate for 95% of what i will ever do with it BUT i like to take things to the next level and i wana squeeze it down even further if possible. So is it worth it to bed over the aluminum? Thanks for any input!

jpdown
08-09-2015, 10:47 AM
Some skim bed the accustock. But I doubt it will change anything. If it has the standard Accutrigger spring, you might want to replace with the target/varmint Accu-trigger spring so that you can get the pull weight down to around 1.5 lbs. Gun Shack stock's them.

I just finished working up a load for a Savage Hog Hunter in .308 and also found 168 gr AMAX's to be a good hand load. I played around with seating depth and found that 168 gr AMAX groups were tighter touching the lands or 0.020" off the lands verses the 0.010" that I started with to find the OCW using RL-15 and the 20" barrel. Your rifle may vary.

MissouriTrapper
08-09-2015, 11:14 AM
I loaded several charges of imr 4895 at several oals. Right on rifling and then backed off .005" at a time. Every powder charge, groups got tighter the further i got from the rifling. I loaded a couple more and went off another .010 from the previous lad and went from a 1"+ to a .65" 5shot group. Gonna play a little more with it see if i can get it down a little more. Also adjusted trigger down all the way and didnt realise there was a sequence to tightening action screws when reinstalling. To the stock. Going to order a torque wrench and play with the torque on the screws once i settle on a good load and see if i can reduce the group size even more. Hopeing to get down to 0.5" at 100yds before im done.

MissouriTrapper
08-10-2015, 01:33 AM
Turns out that my rifle liked it .020" off the rifling too. Lol