PDA

View Full Version : What scope base on a 12 LRP??

Stag556
08-07-2015, 05:16 PM
I started this discussion in a different thread but wanted to bring this to more peoples attention who may not look at my original post. I ordered an EGW 20moa scope base and I had issues with the front, most forward screw hole because the barrel shank sits just underneath. The screws they sent me were all the same length and of course, the forward screw would bottom out and hit the shank without actually tightening the mount to the action. They tried to rectify the situation by sending me a shorter screw and to my dismay, all it was was a stock screw put on a grinder...it would not even thread into the hole.

So.... my question is, what bases have you used on your 12 LRP and have their been any issues like I've had? Savage says everything is fine with my rifle and EGW says they have never seen this issue. Someone is wrong and this being my first Savage, I'm not sure who.

darkker
08-07-2015, 07:20 PM
I've had that happen rather frequently. Judging by the number of folks who didn't remove the scope base, and fouled-up barrel threads trying to remove barrels; it is widespread.
Can't tell you a specific brand that I have had luck with, as I have a mountain of bases and screws.

olddav
08-07-2015, 07:48 PM
Just read your earlier post on the subject. I'm guessing like another (from earlier post) that most Savage owners just cut the screw and move on. Then again with the cost of a quality scope base one expects everything to be of the highest quality. As always I'm just guessing.

Stag556
08-07-2015, 08:05 PM
Thanks for the replies. olddav, that's what confuses me....you would think that spending a good chunk of change on these items, that they would be rather exact and "cutting a screw" wouldn't be the best solution. But I'm fairly new to the game here so I guess this is where the learning begins. As far as cutting the screw, whats the best way to do that and get rather good results so that the screw will thread? I've attempted several times with the screw that EGW sent me but the thing will not thread and I'm definitely not forcing it in there.

243LPR
08-07-2015, 09:00 PM
I had the EGW and took it off my LRP,made scope sit too high. Put on a set of Weaver 2 piece bases and medium rings and perfect height. I had to cut down the front screw on both bases,very common. Vise grips and a grinder works for me. Not a big deal. I had a bigger problem with the crappy factory barrel that Savage said was fine. Ended up putting a McGowen on and now it's a tack driver. We have bigger things to worry about than screw length.

olddav
08-07-2015, 09:09 PM
Dremel tool with cutoff wheel. Once you cut the screw, cant it to about 40 deg off horizontal and lightly rotate it across the face of the cutting wheel. This will allow easy threading of the screw.

gotcha
08-07-2015, 10:00 PM
There's NOTHING wrong with your EGW base just the person who packaged the product with incorrect screws. Then the rep you spoke with who doesn't have a clue. If you can't handle this minor task I suggest you find a competent Gun Smith. He's probably got as many screws as DARKER.

sharpshooter
08-07-2015, 11:29 PM
Why all the fuss over 25 cent screw ? The fact of the matter is that the screws that come with the base are all incorrect to start with, and I'm not talking about the length.

Stag556
08-08-2015, 01:31 AM
Thanks for all the replies. Call me crazy but I believe that if a company sells a product, they should supply the correct hardware along with it. 25 cent screw or $2500 optic....all should be sold to certain standards but that's just my opinion. Immediately having to modify something to make it work doesnt seem right to me. It really isn't an issue of not being able to make it work, I was just curious as to whether this was a widespread issue. I'll take it from here.
Again, thanks for the help.

HAMPS
08-12-2015, 03:39 PM
Same base I mounted to 2 model 12 target actions and don't recall there being an issue but that was a few years ago.

Stag556
08-13-2015, 11:52 AM
I just ended up shortening the screw even farther than they had and playing with the threads to get it to turn into the hole. Like I had said before, definitely odd for them to say they have never had this issue before.

sc1911cwp
08-14-2015, 06:21 PM
Never had this problem with my Nightforce base on my Model 12.

aqua9945
08-14-2015, 06:38 PM
The Nightforce bases are top quality and come with shorter screws for the front base holes to avoid this problem. One issue I noticed with carbon steel actions is that you can get moisture trapped under the rail long enough to start corrosion. I noticed this when i took one apart recently. just saying...

Onewolf
08-14-2015, 08:34 PM
I have 2 LRP actions and 2 EGW HD (steel) 20MOA mounts and I had no problem mounting either.