PDA

View Full Version : Weight of Hog Hunter Factory Stock

stevevs127
08-07-2015, 12:45 PM
Several members suggested I think 2x about hunting with a Boyds tacticool stock. So I am taking their advice and researching how much weight that will add. I haven't found the stock weight of the original HH stock. Anyone know? Thank you

Roach_68
08-08-2015, 11:15 PM
My cheap scale shows about 2lbs, and my Boyds tacticool at 3.5lbs

stevevs127
08-10-2015, 11:01 PM
Thank you sir. My HH will be here in a few days and I can't wait.

gvance
08-11-2015, 03:39 PM
Just FYI !!
I have 2 hog hunters and they both shoot fantastic, and I haven't even replaced the stock or anything

gargodude
08-25-2015, 09:48 PM
To answer Stevevs127, it weighs 1 pound, 12 oz. or 1.75 pounds (I kept mine and just weighed it).

I have one in .308 and hated the factory stock immediately. I couldn't find any aftermarket stocks for it at the time, so I found a gunsmith up in Idaho who had an Accu-Stock lying around and made it fit. He had to change the barrel lug and add the bottom metal for the detachable magazine. It came back with a respectable stock, but it weighs in at 9 pounds, 1 oz. with a Redfield Revolution 2-7X32 scope (11 oz.) and Burris rings and bases (2 oz.). That's pretty heavy to hunt with unless you are hunting off a quad and don't have to haul it around all day. I originally bought this rifle to hunt with, but now I'm just going to use it as a bench rifle.

I think the Accu-Stock weighs about 2.75 pounds if Savage is accurate with their advertised weight for the bare rifle of 7.25 pounds. I just weighed the rifle with my Accu-Stock and rings (iron sights and scope removed) and I get 8 pounds, 6 oz. or 8.375 pounds. For the rifle to weigh 7.25 pounds with the factory stock, which weighs 1.75 pounds, that means the bare action and barrel should weigh a bit over 5.5 pounds. So, using that as a base, with my Accu-Stock, rings & bases at 8.375 pounds, the Accu-Stock should weigh about 2.75 pounds. I wish I had weighed mine with the factory stock before I had the other stock put on to be sure, but at the end of the day, if you put an Accu-Stock on a Hog Hunter, you will and up with an 8-1/4 pound rifle without a scope. Not so bad if your eyes are good enough to use iron sights (mine aren't), but if you put a scope on it, be prepared to lug a 9+ pound rifle around.

Now I know why Savage put such a flimsy stock on it in the first place. If they had built it with the Accu-Stock, it wouldn't really sell too well as a Hog Hunter if the published weight was 8.25 pounds.