PDA

View Full Version : Premium Barrel's

Pages : [1] 2

Captk
08-05-2015, 10:06 PM
I've re-barreled a few Savages and am looking to re-barrel a Savage 12 BVSS with a 7MM-08 barrel, varmint/bull contour, 26 - 28". I have used both Shilen and Criterion barrels. I wanted to see what my options were for a Krieger / Brux / Bartlien (or other premium barrel). I have been looking for one of them in a pre-fit but haven't found any. I checked out SSS, tried calling (no answer) and emailing them, no response yet. I will be retiring in a few years and plan on spending more time for serious (to me) bench shooting. I have a Savage 12 with a Criterion 7MM-08 bull barrel which I am very happy with. Just getting started with it, shooting some factory ammo to get brass to reload.
What I am looking for is who if anyone carries any of these barrels in 7MM-08 prefit and which barrel would be recommended. I am leaning towards a Varmint profile to fit in the BVSS stock but could consider another bull. Currently I am limited to 100/200 yd shooting but plan to try longer distances.
Last question, twist rate for 162 / 168 gr bullets. Choices are 1/8 and 1/9 twist?
Thanks, Ken

DrThunder88
08-06-2015, 05:42 AM
I could be mistaken, but I don't think those manufactures make prefit barrels. They might sell barrel blanks, but you'd have to go through another company to have the barrel profiled and threaded. Sin Arms, for example, makes Savage prefits with Brux and K&P barrels. Apache Gun Works makes prefits using X-Caliber blanks.

LongRange
08-07-2015, 08:49 AM
I've re-barreled a few Savages and am looking to re-barrel a Savage 12 BVSS with a 7MM-08 barrel, varmint/bull contour, 26 - 28". I have used both Shilen and Criterion barrels. I wanted to see what my options were for a Krieger / Brux / Bartlien (or other premium barrel). I have been looking for one of them in a pre-fit but haven't found any. I checked out SSS, tried calling (no answer) and emailing them, no response yet. I will be retiring in a few years and plan on spending more time for serious (to me) bench shooting. I have a Savage 12 with a Criterion 7MM-08 bull barrel which I am very happy with. Just getting started with it, shooting some factory ammo to get brass to reload.
What I am looking for is who if anyone carries any of these barrels in 7MM-08 prefit and which barrel would be recommended. I am leaning towards a Varmint profile to fit in the BVSS stock but could consider another bull. Currently I am limited to 100/200 yd shooting but plan to try longer distances.
Last question, twist rate for 162 / 168 gr bullets. Choices are 1/8 and 1/9 twist?
Thanks, Ken

DrThunder is right...if you want a high end barrel just pick a maker,buy a blank and have it chambered,threaded and crowned...bartlein or krieger are my top two picks.

psharon97
08-08-2015, 07:51 AM
I went with Brux on a 7mm rem mag build. SSS was the company that built the rifle.

minnesotamulisha
08-08-2015, 08:54 AM
Southern Precision Rifles is starting to sell Small Shank and Large Shank Bartlein Savage Pre Fits. Greg posted on the Hide back in April. He was running a special where you could send him your action and he would chamber and install the barrel for $520. Hell of a deal. Wish I had the funds, I would be sending him my action. You can find out more info here:

http://www.scout.com/military/snipers-hide/forums/5514-bolt-action-rifles/13830166-bartlein-savage-pre-fit-barrels

Captk
08-08-2015, 12:41 PM
Southern Precision Rifles is starting to sell Small Shank and Large Shank Bartlein Savage Pre Fits. Greg posted on the Hide back in April. He was running a special where you could send him your action and he would chamber and install the barrel for $520. Hell of a deal. Wish I had the funds, I would be sending him my action. You can find out more info here:

http://www.scout.com/military/snipers-hide/forums/5514-bolt-action-rifles/13830166-bartlein-savage-pre-fit-barrels

Thanks, this could be the right choice for me.
Ken

yobuck
08-08-2015, 02:09 PM
Thanks, this could be the right choice for me.
Ken

He could be the right choice for lots of people as he has a very good reputation.
I should drive over and meet the guy sometime.

LongRange
08-08-2015, 05:57 PM
one guy shooting a SPR rifle in our matches...260rem shooting 123g lapuas and normally scores in the low to mid 30s...VERY accurate rifle.

TheBarrelOutlet
08-11-2015, 01:10 PM
While not a pre-fit, I'd recommend checking out our site. https://thebarreloutlet.com (https://thebarreloutlet.com/) We stock McGowen Precision blanks and finish them off to your specifications. We're currently running about a 2 week turn-around. We do have what you are looking for in a 1:9" twist. Currently we do not have 1:8 twist in stock for 7mm barrels.

Configure the barrel here: https://thebarreloutlet.com/product/mcgowen-precison-7mm-barrel/

sharpshooter
08-12-2015, 12:57 AM
And what was your name again?

TheBarrelOutlet
08-12-2015, 10:43 AM
And what was your name again?
Bill.

Captk
08-12-2015, 06:49 PM
While not a pre-fit, I'd recommend checking out our site. https://thebarreloutlet.com (https://thebarreloutlet.com/) We stock McGowen Precision blanks and finish them off to your specifications. We're currently running about a 2 week turn-around. We do have what you are looking for in a 1:9" twist. Currently we do not have 1:8 twist in stock for 7mm barrels.

Configure the barrel here: https://thebarreloutlet.com/product/mcgowen-precison-7mm-barrel/

I checked out the website but the Precision Cut Barrel portion is not working yet. I placed my order for the 7MM Bartlien today. I will be looking for a second barrel in the near future and will check out your site to see what you have available. I would be looking for something in 6.5 / 7MM most likely.
Thanks, Ken

TheBarrelOutlet
08-12-2015, 10:48 PM
I checked out the website but the Precision Cut Barrel portion is not working yet. I placed my order for the 7MM Bartlien today. I will be looking for a second barrel in the near future and will check out your site to see what you have available. I would be looking for something in 6.5 / 7MM most likely.
Thanks, Ken
Thank you for giving us a look. The last update looks like we're still a few months out from the cut barrels hitting the market. I'll be sure to let you guys know when they become available. The same type of customization and delivery that we offer currently on McGowen Barrels will be there for Precision Cut.

Scott Evans
08-13-2015, 10:36 PM
7mm-08 for 100-200yd off a bench?

How 'bout a 223 case based 6mm shooting 60g-70g BR bullets, like 6x45 or 6TCU? Less powder, less recoil, less cost, longer barrel life, just as accurate or more so at 200.

Captk
08-14-2015, 10:27 AM
7mm-08 for 100-200yd off a bench?

How 'bout a 223 case based 6mm shooting 60g-70g BR bullets, like 6x45 or 6TCU? Less powder, less recoil, less cost, longer barrel life, just as accurate or more so at 200.

I am planning to eventually taking the rifle(s) to PA to try my hand at shooting steel targets out to 500 yds+. I already have 4 heavy barreled 223 rifles and I just like the 7mm-08. I also have 3 6.5 Creedmoor rifle, (Savage 12 LRP, Ruger MK77 VT,and d a Howa barreled action on order). I plan to retire in the next few years and plan on doing a lot more shooting. Although I am currently limited to 100/200 yd shooting, I will have the chance to extend out the distance when I have plenty of time on my hands in retirement.
Ken

yobuck
08-14-2015, 10:03 PM
I am planning to eventually taking the rifle(s) to PA to try my hand at shooting steel targets out to 500 yds+. I already have 4 heavy barreled 223 rifles and I just like the 7mm-08. I also have 3 6.5 Creedmoor rifle, (Savage 12 LRP, Ruger MK77 VT,and d a Howa barreled action on order). I plan to retire in the next few years and plan on doing a lot more shooting. Although I am currently limited to 100/200 yd shooting, I will have the chance to extend out the distance when I have plenty of time on my hands in retirement.
Ken

If you want to shoot steel targets in PA, Ridgeway rifle club would be the place to go.

Captk
08-14-2015, 10:39 PM
If you want to shoot steel targets in PA, Ridgeway rifle club would be the place to go.

Thanks for the info. I was told to try Shippenburg. I am on Long Island, that look like it would be a multi day trip. According to mapit, 337 mi - about 5 hours 28 mins.
Ken

yobuck
08-15-2015, 10:50 AM
Thanks for the info. I was told to try Shippenburg. I am on Long Island, that look like it would be a multi day trip. According to mapit, 337 mi - about 5 hours 28 mins.
Ken

About half the bridges in PA are being rebuilt as a part of the (shovel ready) jobs program.
So be prepared for some delays/detours due to construction. Also, dont always trust the friendly advisor
on your gps either. Not unless you have a jeep and enjoy bad dirt roads. At least in this neck of the woods.
They dont tell you about shallow water either do they cap? lol

LongRange
08-15-2015, 05:55 PM
About half the bridges in PA are being rebuilt as a part of the (shovel ready) jobs program.
So be prepared for some delays/detours due to construction. Also, dont always trust the friendly advisor
on your gps either. Not unless you have a jeep and enjoy bad dirt roads. At least in this neck of the woods.
They dont tell you about shallow water either do they cap? lol

i think i have one LOL!!

Captk
08-29-2015, 02:11 PM
Placed an order for a Bartlien 26" 6.5 Creedmoor bull barrel. My friend talked me out of the 7MM-08, for now.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Ken