PDA

View Full Version : Bottom Metal for Hog Hunter .308

nelly
08-05-2015, 07:48 PM
Hi all, New to the forum and glad I found it. I'm trying to find out if anyone added Bottom Metal and Mags to the "Hog Hunter" Model 11/111 .308 ? The bottom of the stock is Blind and there is an outline where the trigger group is but I looked closely and there's no daylight on those seams. If I bought a Bottom Metal kit with mags from Accurate Mag will I be able to pop this out or does it need to be cut out & fitted (or inletted by a smith). I would hate to start unscrewing and cutting without knowing if I'm going to be able to do the fit myself. Thanks for the help I appreciate it...

BlueDog
08-05-2015, 09:39 PM
Nelly, I have CDI bottom metal on my HogHunter. I don't have it in the the factory stock, but those seams are just flashing and aren't really seams. Sneaky Savage! If you buy a CDI DBM, Jeff always inlets your stock for free. Jeff and Pam are very nice, and had my stock back in about two weeks. It looks and works great. Hope this helps.

Heavyweight
08-05-2015, 09:46 PM
Unless you have the right tools and experience, inletting a blind magazine to a DM system is beyond most of us hobbyists. You might be able to get it to work but it will probably look pretty sloppy. A Smith could do it.....but depending on the cost you may be better off buying an aftermarket stock that's already inlett for the bottom metal of your choice.

Good luck!

Heavyweight

jpdown
08-06-2015, 12:15 AM
+1. IMO it is a waist of time and money to try and to convert the tupperware HH stock from a blind to DBM stpck. Spend your money on an aftermarket stock with the proper Savage SA, CF, DBM inlet. Then go with the Savage factory bottom metal or the other aftermarket bottom metal components now available. I recently converted a HH rifle using a Boyd's Pro Varmint stock, Savage metal DBM frame assembly (surround) and Savage Dark Eagle 10rd Magazine. Or you can just purchase the metal Savage DBM frame assembly and metal magazine cap to convert your current blind magazine box to a DBM magazine. They you can use any Savage SA, CF, DBM stock.

nelly
08-07-2015, 07:52 PM
Blue Dog, What Stock do you have ? I spoke to CDI and they also said to replace the stock then go with the DBM and to look at "Boyds"

BlueDog
08-07-2015, 09:20 PM
I have Pro Varmints (though when I originally ordered my first it was called a Tacticool, terrible marketing choice there!) The first is a plain Pro Varmint, the second is a 'coyote laminate' which is an additional $15. If you are going to get the Boyd's do yourself a favor and spend the extra money and get the colored lam. I feel like a broken record, but I keep saying it.