PDA

View Full Version : Bolt release question

Grim
08-05-2015, 12:37 AM
I've shot a couple of savages years ago and bought a Hog Hunter early last year, all were with the side / receiver bolt release. Now Savage sells some / most models with the trigger guard release. I've been researching this subject for two days not and cannot find a definite answer as to why, especially when it adds to their logistics having to carry extra parts and stocks and seems to be a PITA for customers to find aftermarket stocks, etc to fit this new configuration.

I found one blurb on this sight that the trigger guard release is used on other manufacturers bolt guns for their upper end models and that it was probably the same for Savage. That doesn't make sense as most of the $1100-$1500 models on the Savage site have the receiver bolt release.

Any insight would be appreciated. Also, can anyone point me to any reference good material, internet sites or books, on Savage bolt action rifles that would give me greater insight on these rifles, that would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

foxx
08-05-2015, 12:56 AM
Word/story is they wanted to improve the appearance / "lines" of the rifle. Same reasoning for the smooth barrel nut. A complicated, pita fix to a problem that doesn't exist. Almost as if an automotive designer/marketer was making production /design decisions for them. It was an asinine move, in my opinion, and one of the reasons I like to build off the Hog Hunter, just as you said.

FOr reference material, go to to the home page of this site. check out the FAQ's. Paid members can check out some articles. More info and knowledge here than anywhere else. 'Bout the only source I am aware of, actually.

Maine-iac
08-05-2015, 05:38 AM
The May2008 issue of Rifle Magazine had an article about the "new" Savage design/look and foxx is absolutely right. The changes to the bolt release and barrel nut were purely aesthetic. Designers wanted to improve the looks of the American Classic models and stated they would implement/expand those changes in future models. They also felt gun smiths would welcome the changes and use more Savages for custom builds because of it. Not important to us because we bought Savages for accuracy, toughness, dependability and value.

Robinhood
08-05-2015, 08:31 AM
I wonder if they really thought custom rifle makers would use their action with the horrible trigger and bolt lift.

Grim
08-05-2015, 09:49 AM
Guys, thanks for the information. I was thinking that the switch had to do more with looks than engineering in regards to the bolt release. Was unaware of the barrel nut switch but did read in the forums, the FAQs, page, and other sites that the smooth barrel nut was a PITA to remove. Definitely adding the 'old' nut design to my build list. I am going to not only learn how to service my own rifles (barrel swaps, etc) but also slowly buy up the tools required to service them as I continue to learn about these rifles.

I spent the last 12 years of my time in the Army as a Logistics Officer and it literally blows me away why savage would add to their Logistics costs (parts, inventory, servicing and training costs, etc) which drives up their overall operating costs to produce such great performing rifles. Seems that they should have kept everything the same and concentrated on barrel improvements, better machining of the bolts and receivers (truing / blue printing) and sold the idea of "an easily serviceable rifle" for the owners and gunsmiths. That's just me.

Fox, I was reading through the FAQs pages last night, a lot of good information there.

Maine-iac, thanks for the article heads up, I'll try to find it and read up on the changes and reasoning.

Again, thanks for the information gents, you guys are awesome!

Steve

Hotolds442
08-05-2015, 12:13 PM
There's also substantially less machining required to turn out a bottom bolt release action. They remove a lot of metal on the side of the top bolt release actions and that probably saves them some in manufacturing costs.

gotcha
08-05-2015, 03:41 PM
I spent the last 12 years of my time in the Army as a Logistics Officer and it literally blows me away why savage would add to their Logistics costs (parts, inventory, servicing and training costs, etc) which drives up their overall operating costs to produce such great performing rifles.

Not to mention doing a better job with Quality Control. That's the REAL pita!

sharpshooter
08-06-2015, 02:11 AM
There's also substantially less machining required to turn out a bottom bolt release action. They remove a lot of metal on the side of the top bolt release actions and that probably saves them some in manufacturing costs.

That was probably a good guess, but that's not the case. When they switched over, there were 22 separate revisions to the rifle. The cost went up....fixing problems that didn't exist. Some engineer had to justify his position. This not only wreaked havoc to consumers but at the factory as well. Too many part numbers to keep track of, and very few personnel that had knowledge to know the difference. The people in marketing have the biggest say so, whether it makes sense or not.