PDA

View Full Version : Just ordered my FIRST Savage in Hog Hunter and Have a Stock Question

Pages : 1 [2]

nelly
08-18-2015, 06:30 PM
Blue, I spoke to Shauna at Boyds today and told her I wanted to order the same stock as your's for the Savage Hog Hunter .308- Tacticool or Pro Varmint. She informed me that they don't make either of these for Savage Hog Hunters with Bottom Mag cutouts, all they offer for the Hog Hunter is a BLIND SMOOTH bottom - with no provisions for inletting. She looked at a picture of yours from the forum and said that you modified the stock to fit, not Boyds. So I guess those of us that own HOGS have to look elsewhere for something that will accept bottom metal or she didn't get what I was asking for....

foxx
08-18-2015, 07:59 PM
Don't ask for Hog Hunter with DBM... Hog Hunter does not come with dbm, it is a blind mag rifle made with a center feed short action, top bolt release. If you want to add dbm to hog hunter then you must get a detachable center feed magazine (either Axis style or traditional, all metal) to go with your center feed short action with top bolt release.

If you want a stock for that arrangement, ask for short action, top bolt release, center feed, detachable box magazine.

I have no idea why they list the Hog Hunter as it's own model, but they do. It is better if you ignore that label, though, and seek out a stock that fits the generic terms for what it is.

jpdown
08-18-2015, 08:19 PM
That is hog wash! A Savage Hog Hunter will fit into a Boyd's Savage SA (10, 11, 16), CF, TBR, DBM ProVarmint stock. You will have to open up the barrel channel to free float the magnum contour barrel. Depending on what bottom metal and trigger guard you plan to use, it may take some dremel and bedding work, or spacer under or between the back of the DBM frame assembly and front of the trigger guard to get a flush fit and to make sure the magazine lips are close enough for the bolt head to reliably pick up and push feed cartridges from the magazine.

foxx
08-18-2015, 08:56 PM
That is hog wash! A Savage Hog Hunter will fit into a Boyd's Savage SA (10, 11, 16), CF, TBR, DBM ProVarmint stock. You will have to open up the barrel channel to free float the magnum contour barrel. Depending on what bottom metal and trigger guard you plan to use, it may take some dremel and bedding work, or spacer under or between the back of the DBM frame assembly and front of the trigger guard to get a flush fit and to make sure the magazine lips are close enough for the bolt head to reliably pick up and push feed cartridges from the magazine.

Correct, jp, but Boyds lists the Hog Hunter as its own unique model. When asking for a stock for the HH, they assume you want sa, cf, top bolt release blind mag with bull barrel channel. They only make a few stocks for that exact configuration. That's why I say don't call it a Hog Hunter. Instead, describe it as center feed short action, blind mag (or dbm) top bolt release and then open up the barrel channel as necessary and add, if necessary, bottom metal for traditional dbm or plastic version for Axis style dbm.

Don't use the term Hog Hunter. It only trips you up.

jpdown
08-18-2015, 09:52 PM
+1. Because the HH is a BM configuration, they won't confirm it will also work in a SA, CF, TBR, DBM stock.

nelly
08-19-2015, 07:06 PM
Foxx & jpdown that's just the info I was looking for. Boyds has just lost me as a customer. Too much to do to adapt my HH to their product. I'm going to go with a B&C M40 or an HS Precision as these are ready for me to send over to CDI for final fitting of Bottom metal and mag. I don't want to screw up a stock by doing a 1st time experiment that I've never done before. Don't know why Boyd's would discontinue the Tacticool or other HH stocks with bottom metal cutouts ? Thanks again everyone, I'll post some pics after completion...

foxx
08-19-2015, 09:09 PM
Foxx & jpdown that's just the info I was looking for. Boyds has just lost me as a customer. Too much to do to adapt my HH to their product. I'm going to go with a B&C M40 or an HS Precision as these are ready for me to send over to CDI for final fitting of Bottom metal and mag. I don't want to screw up a stock by doing a 1st time experiment that I've never done before. Don't know why Boyd's would discontinue the Tacticool or other HH stocks with bottom metal cutouts ? Thanks again everyone, I'll post some pics after completion...

They did NOT discontinue HH stocks with bottom metal cutouts. They just don't call them Hog Hunters. Until recently, they did not make anything that was specifically for the Hog Hunter (by name). They made stocks for the center feed, short action, top bolt release, detachable box magazine or blind magazine; just as they do now. It's a matter of knowing what to ask for. Me thinks you are just confused, which isn't unusual, Savage is confusing sometimes. It's not anything Boyds has done differently (other than trying to be "customer friendly" by offering something for top bolt release, center feed short actions with blind mag aka Hog Hunter, and actually calling it "Hog Hunter".

Oh well, if you like, send me a pm and I will give you my phone number, that way I might be able to better explain it to you.

nelly
08-20-2015, 03:10 PM
Thanks for the clarification foxx, I'm going to re-visit Boyds Web page and look for SA-CF-TBR-DBM in a Pro-Varmint.

randyhub
05-13-2017, 10:25 PM
Pro Varmint Savage 10 TBR Detachable Mag Short Action 4.4 spacing

My Savage factory DBM

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/923/tAFlPR.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/pntAFlPRj)

Thanks
Randy

jpdown
05-14-2017, 09:33 AM
Yes, a model 10 will work with Hog Hunter. You may have to open up the barrel channel if it is not cut for a varmint contour barrel.

randyhub
05-14-2017, 03:39 PM
thanks, at 77.00 the Boyds stock was a good deal

Hawkeye-
06-08-2017, 02:59 PM
I had the same concerns when I bought the Hog Hunter in .223, OP. I had a replacement stock, bottom metal, bolt handle, and barrel, and set it up as a miniature 10FCP-SR, as I have a .308 with the 20 inch barrel. The Warranty dept was incredible at Savage in hooking me up with the parts. Once I had a Accustock recoil lug, I was set. Any 4.4" stock will fit, the only difference is the magazine setup (Blind mag vs DBM.)

Now I've got Dr Evil and Mini-Me, lol

randyhub
06-16-2017, 10:04 PM
I had the same concerns when I bought the Hog Hunter in .223, OP. I had a replacement stock, bottom metal, bolt handle, and barrel, and set it up as a miniature 10FCP-SR, as I have a .308 with the 20 inch barrel. The Warranty dept was incredible at Savage in hooking me up with the parts. Once I had a Accustock recoil lug, I was set. Any 4.4" stock will fit, the only difference is the magazine setup (Blind mag vs DBM.)

Now I've got Dr Evil and Mini-Me, lol

How hard was it to change the recoil lug?