PDA

View Full Version : As requested the ARC Mausingfield Action

Pages : 1 [2]

LoneWolf
08-11-2015, 11:09 PM
Did you have the DLC (diamond-like carbon) surface treatment done to the action? I could not tell from the pics. If so, what did you think of it.
Randy
I'm shooting matches every weekend right now, so I haven't yet. Pretty dry in California so light coat of oil goes a long way. Supposed to be moving to North Carolina though and will only be about 2hrs from the shop that does it. It will get coated for the humidity there.

LoneWolf
08-11-2015, 11:52 PM
I think I'm going to Cerakote mine Magpul dark earth.
I won't do cerakote unless the individual is familiar with the M5. I don't want to lose any of its smoothness. The DLC will actually make it even smoother and is more resistant than cerakote.

upSLIDEdown
08-12-2015, 01:44 AM
Supposed to be moving to North Carolina though and will only be about 2hrs from the shop that does it. It will get coated for the humidity there.

What part? I'm up in central-ish VA. Not far from the VA/NC border. Love to get up and do some shooting.

LoneWolf
08-12-2015, 07:57 AM
Camp LeJeune area.

LoneWolf
08-12-2015, 10:40 AM
I think I'm going to Cerakote mine Magpul dark earth.
Another note for you. There is a break in period for the bolt lift. It was pretty heavy at first, but after a couple months of almost daily dry fire practice, a match just about every weekend, and a slight mod adding a 1/8" crush washer under the bolt knob. I can run the bolt with 2 fingers now. Lift/pull with my index and push/lock with my thumb. It's so fast at first you can almost forget you just chambered another round. It's so smooth that at times I didn't realize the mag was empty while I was getting used to it.

You're going to be blown away by it. Everyone that has played with mine lights up when they operate the bolt because they've never felt a bolt action like it. Guys that shoot surgeon/defiance actions sit there and try to convince themselves (and me) that the surgeon is just as fast and smooth. They're close, but not the same.

missed
08-12-2015, 10:46 AM
I can't wait! I'm trying to find out how much the DLC coating is. I may DLC the interior parts and just Cerakote the exterior to match the Manners GAP camo.

Yeah I figured there would be some of a break in period.

LoneWolf
08-12-2015, 11:18 AM
I think they can do a couple different colors. I'll get you the contact info later today.

Robinhood
08-12-2015, 03:13 PM
I prefer the finer thread pitch due to how much less input force needed to reach the proper torque. The ability to use prefit barrels is awesome, let alone the pile of barrels I already have.

I agree Missed, In my opinion it takes a little more effort to gt the pitch diameters right. I like class 3. At least it makes me feel like the barrel maintains axis better.

mwells72774
08-12-2015, 07:50 PM
Arg! another thumb forward on a rifle guy!!

That's a sweet action! How would one even machine something that awesome?

LoneWolf
08-12-2015, 07:56 PM
Thumb forward is for me faster back to the bolt for cycling, more consistent on trigger placement, and removes torque from the rifle added by gripping the pistol grip like a ball bat.

Ted Karagias is a genius. He met all his goals of best of the best bolt action

mwells72774
08-12-2015, 07:58 PM
No offense intended just jesting with jealousy.

If it's got removable bolt faces like savage, how does the mauser extractor function?

LoneWolf
08-12-2015, 07:59 PM
Two piece bolt body with a collar that the extractor connects to. However new bolt heads are like $400

mwells72774
08-12-2015, 08:00 PM
Ouch, but that's amazing how it all syncs.