PDA

View Full Version : Best precision rifle for a new-bee?

PilotPhill
08-03-2015, 11:50 PM
Hello All,
I grew up shooting pellet guns and loved having competitions with my friends. Upon recently going shooting with some family and friends, I decided it was time to invest in my own rifle. I am relatively new to this so please forgive me if I sound like a beginner, though I have been doing a bit of research.

Essentially, I am on a quest for a rifle of the absolute highest quality and precision I can afford. Unfortunately, as a college student, that is not a ton. I am looking in the $1000 ball park and the primary type of shooting I will be doing is target shooting (though it would be nice if my future rifle is capable of hunting deer or other animals as well). I will most likely be shooting at targets ranging from 200-600 meters on the average.

Based on what I know, it seems as though the 6mm BR, and 6.5 Creedmoor, would be the best calibers for me. Things I look for are of course accuracy, long barrel life (optimally at least 3k rounds when cared for properly), and the ability to reload economically (remember, I am a college student). Reloading my own cases won't be a problem though I'd like to be able to do it for optimally less than $.50 a round (bullets, powder, primers) .

I've heard good things about the Savage Model 12 rifles in those calibers but would definitely appreciate some words of wisdom from you experienced marksmen about both the caliber I should shoot as well as the rifle I should use as again, I am a new-bee
Thank you, Phillip

Cyclops
08-04-2015, 01:23 AM
Don't overlook the humble .223 for target shooting.

I bought a Savage Model 12 VLP DBM .233 with 26" barrel 1:7 twist for my 14 year old to learn to target shoot (FTR class).
Using 80 gr A-Max in our handloads it can punch paper out to 900 yards (1000 yards in moderate air) with the standard rifle.

LongRange
08-04-2015, 08:36 AM
go with a 6.5mm it will give you the barrel life and accuracy your looking for and is reasonable as far as reloading...personally id go 260rem because you have more options for brass but the creed is a fine caliber as well and you can buy good ammo off the shelf....if you go 260rem buy your self...

100pcs lapua brass...about $80-$90 bucks...or even 50pcs...i know a place that sells it by the piece...
8lb jug of H4350 about $200 bucks...at 40gs per load this will give you about 1400 rounds(if my math is correct)
1000 fed210M primers about $40 bucks or CCI BR-2s about $60 bucks
and a 500 box of hornady 140g match bullets...about $125 shipped

regardless of what 6.5 you go with youll be happy with it as it will do every thing you listed and more...the 12LRP is right around the top of your budget but comes in 6.5CM 260 and has a decent stock.

darkker
08-04-2015, 09:47 AM
First a bit of business. There is no "Best" that is a universal singular fit. "Best" needs to not keep getting used here.

What you are on a quest for doesn't exist, except in your mind. A crappy rifle can be shot with excellent precision by a marksman. An excellent rifle is still only average, when given to a putz. Cartridges aren't good or bad for precision, they simply have different trade-offs for the shooter to contend with.

You sound like someone who isn't a gun guy, yet. The 223 is wonderful for your stated distance. When I still had a few, we regularly shot past 1k worth them.
Barrel life is a hard thing to do. How hot are you going to get it? Rapid fire, club competition; that Creedmoor will struggle to make 3k rounds for the discerning competitor. Go back to the 308 if you need more.

PilotPhill
08-04-2015, 01:42 PM
Okay, thank you very much guys. I think I'd like to stick with a 6mm BR or 6.5 CM rifle. I've read they are both extremely accurate rounds based on BC and have good selection in VLD bullets. What are the pros and cons of each of those rounds? Right now I feel like the Savage Long Range Precision might be the best fit for me but then I wonder if it might be better to go with a Model 12 F Class in 6mm BR? I will be doing my own reloading, is either of those calibers better to reload with in regards to cost?Thanks, Phillip

olddav
08-04-2015, 04:20 PM
It sounds like youve got some idea of what you want. One word of caution, make sure you are willing to lug all 11+ pounds around while hunting and don't get me started on that 26" barrel. Then again I'm think about the woods in the southeast where carrying a revolver with an eight inch barrel is a challenge.:rolleyes: Have fun and good luck.

pepper savage 111
08-04-2015, 07:09 PM
Military arms channel on youtube did a series on the $1k/1k yard rifle project. It's a .308 but you might get some valuable info out of it

earl39
08-04-2015, 08:16 PM
I would suggest the hog hunter in 308. You get a good rifle at a decent price in a caliber that is good for everything on the North American continent except for the big bears. Ammo everywhere and load data everywhere and long barrel life (5000+ target accuracy rounds). Components easy to find. Money saved can be put toward glass, ammo, or reloading supplies.

foxx
08-04-2015, 08:40 PM
^^^^^yep^^^^^

daniel87
08-04-2015, 09:01 PM
Get a cheap ish base caliber tpo reload and plink caliber. then when you can shoot better, upgrade the barrel and bolt head to a better hunting caliber.
example buy a .223 then go .308 win. Its the same savage action buy a aftermarket barrel, ect or get it built by a smith with your action. Buy a package rifle or such and upgrade as your skills improve

Or buy a .308 that is relatively cheap to shoot and load and have fun shooting

It take much trigger time to reach precision/ br shooting.

darkker
08-04-2015, 09:13 PM
I've read they are both extremely accurate rounds based on BC and have good selection in VLD bullets.

Accuracy and BC have nothing to do with one another. BC for the distances you are talking are all but irrelevant.

DrThunder88
08-05-2015, 05:01 AM
I put together my Axis rig for about a grand. It was probably less than that when the money recouped from selling the take-offs is considered, but there is also the cost of tools, which, while not insubstantial, is a durable investment if you like working on your own guns.

PilotPhill
08-08-2015, 02:47 AM
Thank you guys all very much. I was able to learn a lot from all that great info you gave me. I think I'm going to shoot for the Savage Long Range Precision 6.5mm Creedmoore. I believe I'd like the 6 BR better but those rifles are a bit out of my price range (unless the Model 12 F-Class could be found on sale for around $1000?). The LRP rifles I can afford and I think it is a decent compromise.
Thanks, Phillip

LongRange
08-08-2015, 07:39 AM
good choice and after you shoot that awhile you can then re-barrel to another caliber and if your thinking about a 6MM take a look at the 6x47 lapua and the 6MM creed.