PDA

View Full Version : Fires when turning safety off

dsotm
08-03-2015, 09:10 PM
Hey guys I've got a model 11 that I noticed this weekend the firing pin goes off without pressing the trigger when pushing the safety forward to fire. If the safety is on and you apply pressure to the trigger then release the safety the firing pin drops. Is there some adjustment I can make to fix this or is a new trigger assembly in order?

olddav
08-03-2015, 09:26 PM
Which trigger is it? Perhaps a pic?

foxx
08-03-2015, 09:40 PM
my guess is the sear is worn or the sear/trigger reset spring is set too light. Or, the "creep" is set too tight or shallow. (the edge of the trigger and sear meet at a corner like the front edge of a step... if they are set to meet with too little material for the sear to hold against the trigger, it will slip off). It is fine until you put the safety on, and pull the trigger hard... but the trigger is moving ever so slightly even with the safety set... once you release the safety, it drops off the edge. The other "fix" might be to adjust the screw on the safety so it is "longer". It should be tight against the underside of the safety bar so that the trigger cannot move at all when pulled with the safety engaged. As it is, it is moving just a bit, slide the safety "off" and the trigger lets go.

So... it's a combination of factors. Adjusting the safety screw might help, adjusting for more creep might help, setting the spring weight/tension higher might help. Its a balancing act that must be fixed. I could do it, but don't know how to tell you to. If you look at it, you'll see how each part works and can probably fix it yourself. If not, a smith can. I doubt anything needs replacing.

sharpshooter
08-03-2015, 11:48 PM
If it's an accutrigger, there is only one screw to adjust, and that is the safety engagement screw. It will be hard to get to because once they are set from the factory, the screw socket is plugged with a small plastic ball. You will have to remove the plastic with a drill bit and /or a dental pick to get to the screw. Once you get the junk out of the way, use a 5/64" allen wrench to adjust the screw slightly tighter.

big honkin jeep
08-04-2015, 09:10 PM
Sounds to me like someone adjusted an old 3 screw trigger wrong (trigger job gone bad) and either didn't put nail polish on the screws to lock em down or adjusted the trigger spring to a flat position rather than replacing it with a lighter one and putting the necessary tension/arch on it.
If you have an old three screw trigger (flatback action)
First check the trigger return spring and make sure it has some arch to it and is not laying flat. If it's flat adjust it until it has some arch in it. Once set make sure the trigger return spring is sitting in the little notch on the adjustment screw. If it already has sufficient tension and is arched and the little elbow bend is sitting in the notch correctly then the sear may be adjusted too far in not allowing enough sear engagement. Back out the sear adjustment screw just a little and see if that fixes it.
If so set it where it needs to be and lock the screws down with some nail polish.
Sometimes recoil will make an unwanted adjustment for you if the screws are not locked down properly.
My bet would be one or the other is causing your issue and from your description Probably the spring.
Always lock down the screws after adjustment and keep enough tension to arch the trigger return spring.

Lots of "you tube trigger professionals" out there calling the "trigger return spring" a "trigger pull weight spring" and not understanding or providing the details that are necessary for a trigger job to be safe. The "always" I listed above are often omitted and are two steps I consider to be paramount to a proper trigger adjustment.

I hope this helps, Good Luck and Be Safe.

daniel87
08-04-2015, 09:19 PM
Hey guys I've got a model 11 that I noticed this weekend the firing pin goes off without pressing the trigger when pushing the safety forward to fire. If the safety is on and you apply pressure to the trigger then release the safety the firing pin drops. Is there some adjustment I can make to fix this or is a new trigger assembly in order?

Details
trigger
type
new rifle

When did it start
has the rifle been disassembled latley?????

Bolthead
08-09-2015, 07:47 PM
Foxx and Jeep raised some very important points. Trigger pull is the only adjustment that has the potential to kill you or someone else, but is fairly simple once you know how to do it correctly and most important, know how to test the end results. Skip the YouTube videos on this subject and search for written step by step directions with explanations of what does what. Disregard any that tell you to "file here" or "Stone this surface" etc. That is not required and will likely cause more problems. Keep reading until you get to the point of being able to tell who knows what they are doing, and who doesn't have a clue.

Robinhood
08-09-2015, 11:11 PM
First thing. Increase sear spring preload.

Bolthead
08-10-2015, 09:14 AM
Check your sear engagement also. Make sure it isn't just hanging on by its fingernails.

Chrazy-Chris
08-16-2015, 09:13 AM
In case the other remedies didn't help, I ran into a similar problem on mine when I installed an aftermarket stock that was making contact with some of the trigger components. I had an AD during an elk hunt around all my hunting buddies, including one with PTSD... it was not cool.

So anyways, if you have an aftermarket stock ensure that it is not making any contact with the internal trigger parts.

Robinhood
08-16-2015, 01:31 PM
You had a round in the chamber in camp?

Chrazy-Chris
08-17-2015, 12:24 AM
You had a round in the chamber in camp?

Negative. In my instance it discharged when I chambered a round right before we set off on the hunt that day. Safety was off (as it must be in order to chamber a round on a Savage) and when I chambered the round it went bang. Fortunately I was following the rules of firearms safety and it was pointed in a safe direction.

big honkin jeep
08-17-2015, 01:47 PM
I wish the OP would respond and let us know if he got it figured out and possibly what caused it.

FW Conch
08-17-2015, 03:51 PM
Huh? My Savages have a 3 position safety?

Robinhood
08-17-2015, 09:43 PM
Huh? My Savages have a 3 position safety?

Mine too.

Bolthead
08-18-2015, 08:47 AM
Hope he's OK
I wish the OP would respond and let us know if he got it figured out and possibly what caused it.