PDA

View Full Version : barrel ??

desertdog
05-31-2010, 12:11 AM
how do you know you got what you asked for ?? if you asked for mcgowen? did you get a mcgowen? if you asked for a brux? did you get a brux? see where i am going? do you just trust the guy at the other end to tell the Truth?? just thinking out loud.

pdog06
05-31-2010, 08:33 AM
SOme of the barrels are labeled a certain way.
-all of my Mcgowens have the caliber and twist rate stamped on the side of the barrel. Just from buying them new I know this is their stamping marks. The newer ones are stamped to say Mcgowen on it also.
-My Brux barrel I had SSS make, and they actually stamped "brux" onto the chamer end of the barrel.
-The Shilens, Douglas's, PacNors, and Lothar Walthers I have had were not marked with their name.
I am assuming you are talking about buying used barrels though, so if none are actually marked with the brand name you gotta trust the seller is telling the truth. After all, even if it is marked you still gotta trust him that the round count is accurate. If you cant trust the guy then you shouldnt buy the barrel. If you're on the site for a while and pay attention to the deals that are made(even though they dont involve you) and read the feedback pages, you learn who to trust and who not to trust. For the most part everyone on here is on the up-n-up.

Tell us more? Sounds like you are questioning something youre interested in.

psharon97
05-31-2010, 12:46 PM
The douglas barrel I got from SSS is marked Douglas on the side along with the twist rate and who chambered it.

desertdog
05-31-2010, 01:19 PM
well, i got a few barrels over the last year or two that have no markings on them. they have been good. i was just thinking that it is kind of strange? i guess that is the way it is? like i got some a&b barrels and they stamped the cal on the chamber end. got a custom barrel with no markings at all. guess i would feel better if the cal,twist and maker where on it? you know that warm and fuzzy feeling. lol!!

possum1
05-31-2010, 01:26 PM
I've never bought a after-market barrel. A barrel with no marking's would be like getting a new set of die's, brass, or bullet's with no marking. Would make me wonder ???

desertdog
05-31-2010, 01:31 PM
I've never bought a after-market barrel. A barrel with no marking's would be like getting a new set of die's, brass, or bullet's with no marking. Would make me wonder ???
yes sir!!! that's all it is for me. makes me wonder?? i Will check every barrel i get no matter where it came from. you know a good once over.

possum1
05-31-2010, 01:57 PM
i Will check every barrel i get no matter where it came from.
How ???

hotbrass
05-31-2010, 04:25 PM
I have several barrels without marking also.

I figure the makers dont want anyone to know who made them, in case they were misrepresented or used by another gunmaker. I would think that they would at least put the chamber spec on for safety reasons.

sinman
05-31-2010, 05:00 PM
When your gunsmith gets a barrel blank it has the info written on it on the chamber end. When the gunsmith cuts the barrel they face off the chamber end to make it straight, smooth, and get ride of the ends of the barrel where there could be defects. When getting a custom you can asked to have it stamped or engraved (what ever they do) or just leave it blank. I would rather see a barrel with nothing written on it then one with the blank makings still left on it.

Blue Avenger
05-31-2010, 09:51 PM
a lot of savage barrels are not marked as there is no way for the smith to line it up with the edge of the stock like you want it to be. until it is installed there is no way to know how it will end up. Cal on the end could be done.

desertdog
06-01-2010, 11:46 PM
i Will check every barrel i get no matter where it came from.
How ???
what i mean is to check the barrel with headspace gauges. also the crown and inside the barrel. i am lucky enough to have friend that has a bore scope.