PDA

View Full Version : Anyone re-barreled their 110 .338?

WinnieTheBoom
08-01-2015, 06:55 PM
Sorry if this is beating a dead horse, but I've been searching for a while now and really haven't found what I'm looking for.

I have a 110 FCP chambered in .338 LM and I believe the barrel has just about reached the end of its road. Most of my research has turned up some unnerving info about the .338 actions... Namely barrel manufacturers not making prefit replacement barrels for the .338 because they're not confident the action will hold.

So my question is, if Shilen, Criterion, etc. aren't making prefit barrels for the .338 actions for these reasons, isn't that cause for concern? If it's not, has anyone had any luck with getting another barrel fitted to their .338 action? If so, what manufacturer did you use? Did you fit it yourself or have a smith do it?

At this point I'm really leaning toward sending my action to Douglas and having them throw one of their barrels on it. At least at that point I would know it was Rockwell tested / threaded / chambered properly. Any insight is appreciated.

Jamie
08-01-2015, 09:27 PM
They also don't want to run the risk of someone who doesn't know better dropping that onto a standard large shank action. If I was in your situation I would swap bolt heads and rebarrel to .338 Edge.

DanSavage
08-01-2015, 09:54 PM
McGowen has .338 Lap. in stock right now for 325.00

McGowen barrel's are very accurate and it would be a whole lot cheaper than sending your gun out,, not to mention a big wait.

WinnieTheBoom
08-03-2015, 04:39 PM
They also don't want to run the risk of someone who doesn't know better dropping that onto a standard large shank action. If I was in your situation I would swap bolt heads and rebarrel to .338 Edge.

Rebarrel to .338 Edge when I'm already set up for the Lapua? It would be more expensive for me to switch to the Edge with having to buy new dies and brass alone. Furthermore the cost savings of shooting the Edge over the Lapua would be negligible to me... I have it down to under $1.00 per round at this point and am more than comfortable with that. Barrel life would be about the same for both so it doesn't make much sense to make a "lateral" move and end up in the same place I currently am. If anything the Lapua Improved has my attention.

McGowen has .338 Lap. in stock right now for 325.00

McGowen barrel's are very accurate and it would be a whole lot cheaper than sending your gun out,, not to mention a big wait.

Will look into McGowen for sure. Thanks for the heads up!

Jamie
08-08-2015, 09:33 PM
Lateral would be .338 RUM, .338 Edge will gain you roughly 150 fps. It is also less stress on the action than the Lapua and opens up your barrel makers choice by quite a few.

Now the Improved should remove some body taper and produce less bolt trust than the standard LM, making it easier on the action as well. I like to err on the side of caution and would probably forgo the barrel nut when I rebarreled it.

WinnieTheBoom
08-09-2015, 05:20 PM
Lateral would be .338 RUM, .338 Edge will gain you roughly 150 fps. It is also less stress on the action than the Lapua and opens up your barrel makers choice by quite a few.

Now the Improved should remove some body taper and produce less bolt trust than the standard LM, making it easier on the action as well. I like to err on the side of caution and would probably forgo the barrel nut when I rebarreled it.

Yeah, but is it really worth the switch when I'm already set up for the Lapua? Guess I'll have to think about it more but I really feel like it's 6 of one half dozen of the other. I do like the idea of less pressure but the cost between the two is negligible and the Lapua brass allows you to push them a little harder. Really just feels like it comes down to personal preference.

rfurman24
09-05-2015, 04:38 PM
The 338 RUM, 338 Edge, and the 338 Lapua are all a wash. The bullet accuracy node will have more affect on velocity than the cartridge will. If I were in your shoes I would pick a barrel maker and have them make you a barrel. If you are going to go a different direction I would look at a 338 lapua improved.

Rob44
09-07-2015, 10:24 PM
I used a 110 series with a 30-06 and rebarreled it to a 338-06 using an Apache Arms heavy sporter barrel

hafejd30
09-07-2015, 10:39 PM
If I'm not mistaken there may be one for sale in the classified section. I believe a takeoff simair to what you currently have.