PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice on bedding a Duramaxx Stock

7stw
05-30-2010, 10:40 PM
Just recently received my SECOND duaramaxx stock. Sent the first one back to Band C. The second one is better but not perfect. I reworked it quite a bit to get the barrel off of the right side of the channel, and to get clearance where it should be. Removed ALOT of material around tang, and now it totally floats. Barrel is centered and iI have paper clearance along side action. I am told that the 2 part epoxies are the best to use on this material, using wax as a release agent. I have bedded remys before, several in fact. Do I fill the entire cavity in front of the recoil lug, and do I go all the way to the top?. I am nervous about the detent on the rear of the recoil lug. I am afraid of mechanical lock. Also do i "skim' bed the pillar area and supports? I know that the tang must remain floated and free. I thought I saw a pictorial on here somewhere. I am skilled with a dremel, as that is how I got the stock to the point that it is now. It was no wheres near a "drop in". It is MUCH better now, but it took me the better part of a half day to get it right. I was not going to send it back AGAIN. Any body got any thoughts or suggestions?Thanks.7STW

darkker
05-30-2010, 11:30 PM
For someone who has bedded "several" guns, you are asking some really basic how-to questions.
How much you "bed" is different with everyone. Every friend I have that beds, has there own "magic" way. So do you want to bed in front of the recoil lug or not? Some people do, for more "lock". Some think it is a waste.
As far as release agent, and the detent... There are a BILLION different release agents, what do you have around? Many folks use saddle soap/mink oil because it is around the house, and non staining. I have used everything from Nicks Boot Grease, to lard. For the detent, scotch tape over it, then use your release agent.

desertdog
05-31-2010, 12:16 AM
you think by now they (b/c) would have fixed it!! have had the same thing on 3 stocks!

7stw
05-31-2010, 09:44 AM
For someone who has bedded "several" guns, you are asking some really basic how-to questions.
How much you "bed" is different with everyone. Every friend I have that beds, has there own "magic" way. So do you want to bed in front of the recoil lug or not? Some people do, for more "lock". Some think it is a waste.
As far as release agent, and the detent... There are a BILLION different release agents, what do you have around? Many folks use saddle soap/mink oil because it is around the house, and non staining. I have used everything from Nicks Boot Grease, to lard. For the detent, scotch tape over it, then use your release agent.
Let me just clear something up! I have successfully bedded several other rifles. Mostlly remmys in wooden stocks, that I used accra-glass. I am told that accra-glass gel does not work as well. rather I am told that devcon, or jb weld works better. The only thing that is unique to this beeding job, is the stock material, and the action. A savage IS different and each action has it's do's and don'ts. Some say to bed the recoil lug only, others say full bed. In light of the fact that I had to totally overhaul this stock, I was wondering if that would be my best option. Sorry if i sounded like a idiot, but beleive me I am not!

7stw
05-31-2010, 09:59 AM
you think by now they (b/c) would have fixed it!! have had the same thing on 3 stocks!
I totally agree. I bought it from Stockys, and called them on it immediately, and they fed me some song and dance. So I contacted B and C , and sent it to them. They sent me anotherstock, much the same, but at least by that time, I had become educated, and decided to take a chance and "fix" it myself. It really came out well. A far shot from a drop in. I had to remove material from the right rear tang, left front recoil lug area, andright side barrel channel. Also the trigger recess area was very rough. When I got done, and the action fit correctly, the residue that was all over me and the floor looked like I had wittled out a new stock from scratch. ( I almost did) Otherwise, I like how it fells in hand, and now that it FITS, I like it even more. The material it is made from is a little weird. I thought it was fiber glass, but I think it is more of a synthetic resin filled with carbon fiber. Goog luck with yours.

Netz
06-02-2010, 09:42 PM
99.9% of all tutorials I've read say to only bed the rear of the recoil lug,and float the tang (for Savages) 2 layers of tape on the front and sides of the lug.
As for the lug detent, I just filled mine with clay, and then used natural shoe polish as a release agent, then bedded with JB weld. (could not find any Devcon locally)
Curt

jpdown
06-03-2010, 08:17 PM
7stw,

I like using the Devcon Plastic Steel Epoxy because it is easy to find at the local hardware store. I use clear shoe polish for release agent. I use plumbers putty and painter tape to fill any holes, build dams and keep epoxy away from where I don't want it. I put two layers of tape on the front and sides of the recoil lug. Buy two 1/4" bolt 3" long and cut the heads off. Screw into action, put 2 layers of tape around top to center in pillars. Use as guide for stress free positioning when bedding. Also stick out bottom of stock to allow you to hit with hammer and break action free after bedding hardens. I bed the full action and recoil lug area.

7stw
06-06-2010, 02:20 PM
7stw,

I like using the Devcon Plastic Steel Epoxy because it is easy to find at the local hardware store. I use clear shoe polish for release agent. I use plumbers putty and painter tape to fill any holes, build dams and keep epoxy away from where I don't want it. I put two layers of tape on the front and sides of the recoil lug. Buy two 1/4" bolt 3" long and cut the heads off. Screw into action, put 2 layers of tape around top to center in pillars. Use as guide for stress free positioning when bedding. Also stick out bottom of stock to allow you to hit with hammer and break action free after bedding hardens. I bed the full action and recoil lug area.
Thanks so much for the feedback. The devcon steel epoxy is readily avail . here at the hardware store. I have been using it for other tings as well and have often wondered if it would be a suitable bedding agent if that time ever came. As I stated in my original thread, I have bedded several other rifles, mostly remmys, but they have a different lug and acction bottom. I just want to get it right and not have a nightmare getting it apart. I have a better understanding of the particulars now, but just needed a little more info. Do you add any bedding to the pillar areas and the supports, or leave them alone? Anyway, Thanks agai for the info, and patience.

jpdown
06-06-2010, 03:58 PM
Do you add any bedding to the pillar areas and the supports, or leave them alone?

I bed the complete action including the pillars. Tape the barrel channel in the stock just in front of the recoil lug and barrel nut so the Devcon overflow from the recoil area won't stick. Tape the front and sides, and bottom of the recoil lug. Tape the magazine well. Put tape under the tang to free float in stock. Put tape around barrel to free float and center in stock channel. Build clay dam or carefully tape area just behind rear action pillar to keep Devcon overflow from sticking to the stock in trigger area. Rough up the stock and drill small holes in action area to give Devcon somewhere to mechanically bond to the stock. I remove the trigger assembly from the action by pulling the pin. Note how the bolt release spring is setting before you pull the pin and it flies across the room. When the bedding job is done, only the tops of the pillars will be visible.

I would recommend you become a paid member for $12 to acess lots of useful information. There is an article in the archive's on "Savage Stock Bedding 101" with pictures. You can also do a search on the site for other Savage bedding tips. LOL