PDA

View Full Version : Custom Axis or 12FV in .308

Hoosier
08-01-2015, 06:29 AM
I'm currently waiting on my stock from boyds to put the finishing touches on my .223 axis. This bolt gun shoots exceptionally well for what it is. Now I'm already wanting to plan for my next one.

Here are some nuggets of information to give you an idea of what it will be used for. First, I live in Indiana so it will not be used for deer hunting until the DNR approve it. I'm sure it will take down a few coyotes, but that's what I bought the .223 for. Second, it will not be a range rifle that I want to look good to show off with. My closest neighbor is almost a mile away, so I basically live at my own range. I just want something that performs. Finally, I'm looking strictly at the price to performance ratio. I don't want to buy a 1500 dollar .308 that I can't even hunt with yet.

Thanks everyone

darkker
08-01-2015, 10:55 AM
I'm confused, the 308 isn't approved for deer hunting???

Personally I think you need to clean-up your terminology first. You asked which one, but didn't give details about this "custom". Adding an aftermarket stock to a rifle doesn't make it a custom built rifle.

There is no Savage(10,110 series) present or past, that is worth more than $450. So pick any model under that and build what you want. It will be cheaper than Savage selling it to you and it will actually be customized.

Hoosier
08-01-2015, 08:06 PM
No you can't use a .308 in Indiana to deer hunt with, and let me clear this up for you the best I can... I, like most of us, am not rich. Therefore, I would like to purchase a weapon that I would be pleased with upon the initial purchase until I can afford to piece everything together. Thus the question, axis vs. 12FV...

BlueDog
08-01-2015, 09:08 PM
In my opinion, if you want something to shoot and shoot well with little to no work, the 12FV would be good. If you want something cheaper that you can tinker with and explore the long road of accurizing (stock, bedding, trigger, etc.) then the Axis would be a fine choice. Either way, just shoot it a lot and enjoy it!

DrThunder88
08-01-2015, 09:29 PM
It's just a gun to tide you over until you get your other gun finished? I guess it's a question of if you want this second gun to end up being. I'm of the opinion that Axises are always works in progress, or, at the very least, always have something to improve upon. You know this already, though, because you're currently improving an Axis. If you want another project gun, an Axis would be my choice. The 12FV strikes me as more or less complete. You can still tweak it to your liking down the road, but I imagine it'd be the better choice out of the box.

Hoosier
08-02-2015, 05:01 AM
See I don't know much about the 12FV, a buddy has one he's getting rid of and didn't know if this would be a good way to go. I appreciate all the feedback

Hoosier
08-02-2015, 05:07 AM
Sounds like I'll probably pick up the axis so I can have another project to keep me busy this fall/ winter

BlueDog
08-02-2015, 09:36 AM
Hoosier, I just finished my Axis experiment and it really is a good platform that receives little respect. If I were faced with the same dilemma between the two, I would have also picked the Axis, as I'm a tinkerer and I ALWAYS root for the underdog! Lol. Besides, with the initial savings of the far cheaper rifle, you'll have more money to spend on ammunition. Keep us posted.