PDA

View Full Version : Axis .30-06 heavy bolt lift

11shooter223
07-31-2015, 06:33 PM
I've had this Axis XP in .30-06 for a few years now and I am beginning to shoot more and more. One thing that is really bothering me is the insanely heavy bolt lift. I have to put a lot of pressure with either my other hand or with my face to keep the gun from moving all around. The first half of the lift is easy, it then hits a point where it gets really tough. It is bad enough where I can't keep the target in the scope while running the bolt. . It seems like a heavy bolt lift is normal for these guns but it just seems odd how it gets so heavy at the halfway point.

Thanks for the help!

Rosco
07-31-2015, 09:16 PM
Have about the same issue with most of my Axis rifles. If I am trying to shoot for precision, inevitably I have to reset my cheek weld/sight picture and alignment after a majority of shots because when cycling the bolt it threw me off my position. Bolt lift is not just and issue with the Axis either you will see guys with Model 10/11/12's with the same problems. You do have a few options though, probably the best is to have it Timed and Trued by Fred at SSS, but that takes some cash and sending your rifle off.

If you search around the forum you will find a few threads on polishing the cocking ramp, cleaning and lubing the bolt parts, and maybe even adding an after market bolt handle for extra mechanical leverage. Done together it does make some difference albeit not a huge amount but it is noticeable but the results vary from bolt to bolt.

Check it out and let us know it goes!!

DrThunder88
08-01-2015, 03:25 AM
As I sat here I was sure I'd be telling you that polishing and greasing the cocking ramp would help you out. I was convinced of it. The ramp on one of my Axises is polished and I was sure it was easier to lift the bolt handle. Then I remembered that I have a box stock Axis as well and I could measure the force needed to open the bolts with a spring scale hooked around the handle/knob junction. There's nothing like empirical data to prove a point. However, I was shocked to find the actual measured bolt lift was about the same for both when the rifles were being cocked, or at least they both exceeded my 50N scale. The polished ramp was easier to lift when the rifle was already cocked (~8lbs compared to >11lbs), but what utility that would serve is beyond me. The polished ramp felt smoother, but that could have been entirely perceptual. Furthermore, the bolt with the polished ramp also felt easier to lift, but I also have an aftermarket knob attached, extending the effective length of the handle half an inch or more, though the force measurements were taken from the same relative points above the knobs.