PDA

View Full Version : Peep vs scope - opinions please

Haiku_Rodney
07-31-2015, 04:57 PM
I hunt cows, goats, pigs and axis deer on the slopes on Haleakala in Hawaii. I took the scope off one of my rifles and installed a peep sight. This is because frequently the clouds blow in and although you can "see" and animal, I can't see it in the scope. The shots I take are not very long, generally under 250 yards. One thing I do like about the peep is the light weight. The negative side is that I am not a good shot with it - I am still learning. I am considering going back to a scope. Hunting in the lava is tough and falling is not uncommon so I do not want to spend a whole lot of money. I am considering a leupold fixed power scope - either a 4 or 6.

Suggestions?

BlueDog
07-31-2015, 05:56 PM
IMHO, scope all the way. When I put my first scope on my first pellet rifle decades ago, I've been a scope only shooter since. Low light situations, longer range, my poor eyesight, higher precision... just to name a few. Of course watching my first Palma match made me feel totally inadequate and shook my head in disbelief all the next week. Pretty amazing. But I'd stick with whatever your most comfortable with. For me, it's undoubtedly a scope.

Rick_W
07-31-2015, 07:16 PM
Out past 75-100 yds - it's a scope for me.

You don't mention what specific scope you removed or the caliber of rifle, but a quality low power scope would be my choice.

A fixed 4x would be very good for all of those ranges. I believe a fixed 6x would be a little too powerful for anything under 100 yds if it's moving.

I would prefer a low power variable, something in the 2x-7x range. These will cost a little more than a fixed power scope.

And don't overlook red-dot and holographic sights. Depending on the caliber you are shooting these can be very accurate out to 200 yds and they are very fast.

Also, what is your limit for a new optic?

Haiku_Rodney
07-31-2015, 07:53 PM
The rifle is a Savage 11 in 7mm-08. I had a Bushnell 3200 3-9 on it. The biggest problem is when the clouds/fog rolls in. I would like to stay under $500 for the scope. I was considering the fixed power because I read that with less lenses you get better light gathering.

kkeene
07-31-2015, 08:23 PM
I like shooting aperture sights but in changing light conditions my point of impact changes.

Used Leupold 4x or 6x fixed poser scope is hard to beat.

Keith

JCalhoun
08-01-2015, 12:00 AM
Rodney,

Is the scope fogging up? I'm trying to follow what it is doing.

For open sights, what set up are you using?

yobuck
08-01-2015, 07:53 AM
Id have both if i were experiencing your problems.
It no different than having a bunch of snow drop on
your scope lenses causing a temporary problem.
Years back it was very common for hunters to have
some type of a see thru scope mount enabeling them to
use either a peep site, factory ramp/buckhorn site or the scope.
I still have that setup on one of my guns. A google search
would no doubt show whats available. I believe see thru scope rings are available also.
What island are you on over there? Ive explored 3 of them pretty extensivly. Including the
worlds straightest road leading to Hanna lol. For sure there could be some long range shooting.

Texas10
08-02-2015, 07:25 AM
Personally, I think your move to a peep sight was a moment of brilliance, given the foggy conditions and terrain you shoot in.
I have one on my sportsterized 30-40 Krag and given it's durability and consistency, I would never change it….not that I could if I wanted to. LOL

Haiku_Rodney
08-03-2015, 02:46 PM
JCalhoun, The scope is not fogging up. It comes down to light gathering. I can't afford a really high end scope and in addition, I have banged up a couple of my other scopes pretty bad when I fell. In the fog/clouds, you can see the silhouette of the animal but when you bring the rifle up, you can't see the animal. I have a Williams WGRS with a 3/32 nd aperture and firesight front bead. I think the problem I have with the peep sight is I keep trying to consciously center the bead in the aperture. I made some decent shots with the peep - the longest so far a little over 100 yds and yet the other weekend I missed a shot at a goat that was perhaps 75 yds away.

By the way I live on Maui. Anyone coming this way is welcome to hunt with me. I am limiting in terms of hunting areas I have available and the hunting is tough. You are hunting at about a 7000 foot elevation and the terrain is anything but flat. If you want to see what the area is like, got to KGLMO.org.

JCalhoun
08-04-2015, 03:28 PM
When shooting open sight concentrate on centering the front post on the target and the rear aperature will take care of itself. Open sights, like ant shooting, takes practice.

earl39
08-04-2015, 04:46 PM
Have you given thought to a quality red dot? best of both worlds but without the magnification that caused problems in a foggy environment.

Haiku_Rodney
08-04-2015, 08:50 PM
I have used the holographic type red dot in the past. I had problems keeping the "lens" clear of moisture buildup. I have not looked into the more conventional red dot sights. I will check into them.

Thanks

sharpshooter
08-06-2015, 04:13 PM
Have you considered a laser?