PDA

View Full Version : 6.5x55 neck sizing

nrar15
05-30-2010, 06:16 PM
Just got my Redding micrometer neck sizing die set. This is my first time using bushing dies and first time neck sizing. Set the dies up as per instructions. Redding said to go .001 under loaded case neck dia is this right? Also how much of the neck needs to be sized? Any help would be great. Not a bench rest shooter just want to see how good I can get my rifle to shoot. Thought I would try a good set of dies seeing as how much I have spent on the rifle already. Beats the hell out of drinking or smoking the money away. The rifle is a Savage long action that was sent to SSS for an Evilution trigger install and bolt handle has a Brux 30" barrel, Stockade T&V stock with adjustable cheek piece, EGW 20moa scope base, Warne QR rings, Leupold 8x25x50LR scope. Using Laupa brass 142SMK,s and winchester primers H4831sc powder have 20 round down the tube getting under .5 groups using Lee dies. And hope to do better.
THANK
Bob

boy412
05-30-2010, 06:54 PM
I'll be curious to see some of the responses to this thread. I have a buddy who shoots the 6.5x55 Swede and he's just begun his reloading journey.

dcloco
05-30-2010, 07:45 PM
Depends on the brass. Some necks have more spring back than others.

Measure the neck outside diameter of a loaded round of YOUR brass, then subtract 0.002". Say your measured OD is 0.285, minus 0.002" = 0.283 Now, you need to buy a 0.282 and 0.283 bushing.

Personally, I lightly turn the necks, fired the brass, then neck size with a bushing die. New brass needs to flow a bit during firing before it settles down.

As far as how much, just depends on your rifle/powder/primer/distance to lands. Generally, I size 75 to 80 percent of the neck.

So far, in all but one caliber, 0.0015" to 0.002" is the most accurate neck size for a variety of calibers. Also know as "bullet pull" by some.

nrar15
05-30-2010, 09:23 PM
dcloco
I am using Lapua brass firing it once to fire form to my chamber. Then I plan on starting to neck size. After firing should I trim to lenght before I size? Thanks for all the help just getting started in this kind of reloading.
Bob

dcloco
05-30-2010, 09:27 PM
dcloco
I am using Lapua brass firing it once to fire form to my chamber. Then I plan on starting to neck size. After firing should I trim to lenght before I size? Thanks for all the help just getting started in this kind of reloading.
Bob

Trim to length after sizing. Also, inside and outside chamfer after sizing.

Armed in Utah
05-30-2010, 10:51 PM
Have you tried the Lee collet die for the Swede ?

nrar15
05-30-2010, 11:01 PM
I have the Lee die but have never used it. Thought that maybe the trim lenght would effect how much of the neck was sized or cause other problems.
THANKS
Bob