PDA

View Full Version : Dual use and switching stocks???

North86
07-30-2015, 11:05 AM
I have an Axis heavy barrel in 308. I have done the trigger mod, and been working on my shooting technique. So far, I am happy with the rifle. The rifle will be dual use with 90% range and 10% hunting.

I would like to get a Boyd's stock. The rifle is a standard right hand action, but I shoot left handed.

I was looking at the Boyd's Pro-Varminter (Tacticool) because it doesn't have the raised weld that many of their right handed stocks have. The Tacticool is more of a bench stock than a hunting stock. I was thinking that maybe I should look at a different Boyd's stock, but it is so hard to tell from their website which stocks have that raised section on them. I'd consider a different stock as long as it was more ambidextrous than a monte carlo style stock.

Is it practical to just keep my old tupperware plastic stock to switch into when hunting, and then move the action back to the tacticool when I want to long range shoot for fun? Does anyone else do this? Or am I better off just picking a different Boyd's stock that isn't so heavy, but gives me a better platform than the standard axis tupperware stock?

TIA

rfd12fv
07-30-2015, 06:29 PM
get a boyds and sell the tupperware. seriously. it would make no sense whatsoever to swap stocks, think of all the issues that could/would/should create.

Jay24bal
07-30-2015, 09:51 PM
Yeah, if 90% of your use for the rifle is range shooting and only 10% is hunting, I would also say just go with the Boyds.

One caveat to that though: if the hunting you are doing is rough/long hiking and cutting weight is important, it may make some sense to keep the lighter stock around (just be sure to re-zero it after you swap it back). If it is a short or easy walk to a stand or a blind, I would just go with the Boyds permanently.

rfd12fv
07-31-2015, 05:04 AM
let's face it - axis rifles are cheap (but good!). go buy another if the hunting is gonna be that *rough*. stick on some cheap glass and have at it. much rather do that then switch stocks.

IUOE-Mike
08-01-2015, 08:54 AM
My Axis 308 with heavy fluted barrel in a Boyd's ProVarmit is 11.4lbs I belive with the factory barrel and my scope mounted I was around 7lbs(with factory stock).