PDA

View Full Version : New member LRPV owner.

PAGM77
07-30-2015, 09:05 AM
Good day, I recently bought my first Savage, a 12 LRPV dual port 223 1:9 twist.

I bought this rifle mainly for culling purposes as I previously used a Suppressed 338 WM and 30-06 and needed something that was cheaper to shoot, accurate and heavy :)

I tend to glass bed rifles straight away before firing a single shot through the barrel and have had great success this way. I know this rifle comes with the aluminum bedding block but do not know whether it will match the action a 100%? should I go ahead and bed it right away or would you guys advise to first shoot it and then decide?

This is probably the most common and useless question ever as individual rifles performs differently, but on average with some load development how well do these rifles shoot?

Thanks

Pieter

darkker
07-30-2015, 09:32 AM
1) I know this rifle comes with the aluminum bedding block but do not know whether it will match the action a 100%? should I go ahead and bed it right away or would you guys advise to first shoot it and then decide?

2). This is probably the most common and useless question ever as individual rifles performs differently, but on average with some load development how well do these rifles shoot?

Thanks

Pieter

1) I never suggest someone spends money on a "problem" if you can't prove it exists. Regardless of whether or not the action fits the stock as though the Almighty made it, if it shoots why change it??

2) Yes, it is that type of question.
I've owned, built, or modified well over 25 Savage Rifles spanning the bulk of their history. Through pre/post bankruptcy era, Coburn resurrection, and now ATK corporate strategy they have fundamentally all been the same. Their fit & finish has always been $300 rifle, that CAN have $800 rifle barrels attached. But their QC Dept allows some Swap Meet quality shyte to blow out the factory does randomly. So, what barrel do you have? Do you have a polished turd, or a good one? We can't answer that for you, so start loading.

maxl
07-30-2015, 09:10 PM
I have 2 LRPV they both shoot quite well without bedding, my 22-250 will shoot 1/4 moa if I am "on" that day and so will my 204 ruger I say shoot it and see if you think you need it. Disclaimer-I reload and neither rifle would shoot factory ammo that tight I believe with factory fodder the best I remember was about moa.