PDA

View Full Version : Recutting to AI chamber

Idahojoe
05-30-2010, 04:09 PM
Can I order a 6.5x55 chambered barrel & rechamber to AI without setting the barrel back? Thanks for any experience that you can share. Joe

dcloco
05-30-2010, 04:17 PM
Yes.

...and no.

For a perfect AI chamber, the neck/shoulder point is exactly the same on the parent case and the AI case.

On a Savage/Stevens, you can cut a touch deeper, IF necessary, but you are able to adjust your headspace with the barrel nut.

Worse case scenario, cut 20 or 30 thousandths off the chamber end of the barrel.

sinman
05-30-2010, 04:41 PM
I wouldn't and don't. For the 2mins to face off .020" or so its well worth it to clean it up.

nsaqam
05-30-2010, 05:21 PM
For a perfect AI chamber, the neck/shoulder point is exactly the same on the parent case and the AI case.

No, the neck shoulder junction on the AI chamber is .004" LESS than the parent.

That is why you use the parent GO guage as the AI NO/GO guage.

The AI GO guage is .004" shorter than the parent GO guage.

Old P.O. Ackley was pretty smart and he realized he needed a bit of crush to make the parent cartridge stay tight against the boltface.

Blue Avenger
05-30-2010, 05:41 PM
Can I order a 6.5x55 chambered barrel & rechamber to AI without setting the barrel back? Thanks for any experience that you can share. Joe
only on some of the rimmed cases like .30-30. try it on a rimless case and you will most likely get a double angle shoulder.

order the right chamber or no chamber and save the cost of having it changed.

wbm
05-30-2010, 05:47 PM
order the right chamber or no chamber and save the cost of having it changed.

+1

dcloco
05-30-2010, 07:47 PM

Old P.O. Ackley was pretty smart and he realized he needed a bit of crush to make the parent cartridge stay tight against the boltface.

Yep....he is correct. ...sorry for the snafu.

BillPa
05-30-2010, 08:15 PM

You are 100% correct.

HEAD CLEARANCE (or the lack of it in this instance) on the parent cartridge in an improved chamber is established on the neck shoulder junction with a .004" crush fit.

http://i44.tinypic.com/9pna50.jpg

99.9% of the time simply reaming the parent chamber without setback creates something other than a true improved, a wildcat.

Bill

nsaqam
05-30-2010, 08:47 PM
BillPa is the one who first told me this a few years ago now.

Thanks Bill!

dcloco
05-30-2010, 09:28 PM
Of note, you can adjust the headspace on Savage/Stevens barrels.

It was my party snafu on the spec, but this applies to non nutted barrels. :)

Blue Avenger
05-30-2010, 09:35 PM
AND NUTTED, YOU HAVE TO HAVE THE CORRECT CHAMBER TO HEADSPACE FROM ALSO. :) darn cap lock, I'm not doing over!

Idahojoe
05-30-2010, 11:56 PM
Thanks a million, you guys have helped me a lot. Joe