PDA

View Full Version : How do I get the barrel off the action?

dsotm
07-27-2015, 04:01 PM
I've got the barrel nut loose but the action seems stuck. Using the barrel nut wrench and the wheeler action wrench.

Bolthead
07-27-2015, 04:45 PM
You will need to secure the barrel with a barrel vice. They are available commercially or you can make one out of a couple of blocks of hardwood with a groove cut in them. Search barrel vice and there will be many suggestions on this forum. In the mean time, soak the threads with PBBlaster, Kroil, or some sort of penetrating oil. Some heat (not much) may be required. Once the barrel is secured, the action wrench should turn it loose.

LHitchcox
07-27-2015, 04:52 PM
Make sure you haven't overtightened the bolt that goes into the front receiver hole. Its job is to keep the receiver from turning in the vise. It can bottom out on the barrel threads.

foxx
07-27-2015, 05:11 PM
Also, don't over tighten the wrench screws. I just hand-tighten them and twist the barrel/action so the recoil lug is set against the side of the lug inlet. I can't use the action screw hole in that case, but I do get pretty good leverage against the side of the lug that way with very little wrench pressure or squeezing action of the action.

foxx
07-27-2015, 05:13 PM
Also, you can turn the barrel nut all the way down until it bottoms out on the threads, then hit the wrench one time with a good smack of a 5 lb hammer... that usually starts the barrel turning out of the action for me.

After that, you'll be asking how to get the nut off the barrel you just smacked-tight against the bottom of the threads...

Turn the wrench around, hold the barrel in one hand with a rubber pad (or maybe the open-weave padded shelf liners your wife might put in her cupboards) wrapped around it for a good grasp, then hit the wrench the other way so as to break the nut from it's tight spot in the bottom of the barrel threads. Be careful it (the wrench) doesn't swing around and hit you in the gonads when it does break free. ...don't ask.

short round
07-27-2015, 05:19 PM
Take receiver wrench off, with nut loose, receiver should turn off by hand. If it does not turn easily, check for polishing media that looks like little balls. These need cleaned out.

Robinhood
07-27-2015, 06:10 PM
Take the front scope mount of if you have not already.

darkker
07-27-2015, 06:14 PM
Take the front scope mount of if you have not already.

Yep, Had a few this way. the Original gent broke off the mount screws and mucked-up the receiver threads.

dsotm
07-27-2015, 08:16 PM
I must have been really wimpy yesterday when I tried... Came off super easy tonight

foxx
07-27-2015, 08:20 PM
Nope. We loosened it for you!

dsotm
07-27-2015, 09:29 PM
Nope. We loosened it for you!

Thanks!