PDA

View Full Version : Hodgdon site vs. Complete Reloading Manual

pepper savage 111
07-26-2015, 06:46 PM
Hi guys. I need a little input. I bought one of those plastic bound "Complete Reloading" manuals for the 30-06 and the load for 168gr amax says min 41.8gr max 50.2gr of IMR 4064. The Hodgdon site says min 47.0gr max 50.8gr for the same components...

Now, I found a very accurate load at 45.6gr of IMR 4064 with the 168gr amax. But am I selling myself short?

darkker
07-26-2015, 08:55 PM
You asked a few questions there.
First the difference between data.
Hodgdon's data is more current than any other manual. When was the data in your book tested, and by whom? Likely they won't say, but was gathered from some source in the past. Further speaks to normal lot variations and why no one should be assuming all powder is the same, it's not!
If your load is accurate, how could you possibly be selling yourself short?!

No one ever remembered how fast a load was when the shooter can't hit the broad side of a barn. But everyone remembers the old fool who can hit anything he sees, at stupid slow velocities. There is a good lesson in that.

olddav
07-27-2015, 09:03 AM
Just a thought, but if you are punching paper then I would not worry about speed. If how ever you are hunting with this round and anticipate shots beyond 100 yards then you may want to find a node higher up the scale (closer to max). As always I just taking a guess here.

earl39
07-27-2015, 11:54 AM
Even if you are shooting at a mild 308win velocity whatever you shoot within 500 yards will not know the difference and you will have to get out past 500 to notice any real difference in scope adjustment. If it shoots well then having a little faith in it and yourself goes a long way.

BillPa
07-27-2015, 12:22 PM
No one ever remembered how fast a load was when the shooter can't hit the broad side of a barn. But everyone remembers the old fool who can hit anything he sees, at stupid slow velocities.

....or as I say, "Velocity without accuracy means one can miss....faster"!:p

Burr
07-30-2015, 11:29 PM
I found the same thing with IMR 4064 - I found an accurate, and very tight velocity spread, well below maximum load. I didn't see any reason in changing anything, left it as is and those loads have dropped many deer in the last 15 years. My bullet was much lighter than yours. My shots are inside 400 yards.